Subject: Re: mdvawv try advancing again too
Date: Aug 19, 2004 @ 15:34
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

beautiful doc

> UPDATE:
>
> (1) N 39º 19' 16.80205" W 77º 43' 10.14059"
>
> (2) N 39º 19' 16.17539" W 77º 43' 10.75219"
>
> I said,
> "I now notice a slight difference in the gcb output
> from GCGC, 79 ft _9_in. [not 79 ft 6.76 in]
> ...lat/long seconds being rounded off
> after 3 decimal places on input."
>
> Actually, seconds were being truncated, not rounded
> after 2 decimal digits. I quietly,
> without changing the prompts "N/S dd mm ss.ss"
> and "W/E ddd mm ss.ss" allowed up to 5 decimal
> digits for seconds for gcb. I haven't changed
> the degrees and decimal minutes or decimal degrees input.
> Now gcb and GCGC distance agree for Vincenty.
> The various algorithm results are:
>
> Sphere G. C. 24.253 m = 964.8425 in = 79 ft 6.8425 in
> Vincenty 24.251 m = 954.7638 in = 79 ft 6.7636 in
> Sodano 24.251 m
> "US Navy" 24.251 m
> Andoyer 24.236 m = 954.1732 in = 79 ft 6.1732 in
> Rhumb Line 24.253 m
> "aletheiak" 24.2511 m = 954.7695 in = 79 ft 6.7695 in

great education for me
thanx

i should only add in clarification that your first waypoint was
merely spoken to me by the surveyor
after some fumbling around
in answer to my question
for it doesnt appear in the report

& that your second waypoint actually appears in the official
boundary marker description

& that that the distance between them i have given in feet &
inches etc was merely computed by me from the official data
using simple arithmetic
for it also doesnt appear in the official report

so my great circle computation adventure
which you have so nicely rescued & illuminated
was just my way of doing my best diligence to make sure all
these variously derived & transcribed data were all actually still in
consonance

& you have shown they do very substantially agree
far beyond civilian gps capability to discern
yet within practical approach by tape measure

> The new gcb has been uploaded to my web site.
> I am _not_ going to advertise
> the "seconds to 5 decimals"
> outside the BP group. Allowing 2 decimal points
> is stretching normal civilian capability quite a bit.
> Usually I would quietly laugh if given
> more than 1 decimal digit for seconds

absolutely
that has been my experience too

& such normal civilian capability
which i believe is basically all that any of us have ever had
doesnt even beat a tape measure at close range

so i am wondering if you or anyone can advise us about exactly
how to go about stretching our capability

for even if true mdvawv didnt depend on it
the true benlbenl quadripoint & others certainly do

say for example
are there any specific pieces of hi tech equipment that we could
rent or borrow & that you or even an amateur could hope to
operate
etc

> pi approx. = 355/113
> (7 digit accuracy with 6 digits)