Subject: Re: DCMDVAN via Potomac Heritage Trail
Date: Aug 10, 2004 @ 17:08
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

great great great
& please look for 3 from me too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> See three (numbered) insertions below.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

Trail

> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
McManus"
> > <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > > The Arlington County Department of Real Estate
Assessments
> > has EVERYTHING on the
> > > web, including details on all addresses lots, structures,
> > appraisals, and
> > > interactive zoomable cadastral and GIS maps. I've just
spent a
> > fine couple of
> > > hours there and in other research. I won't cite all of the
steps,
> > because it's
> > > far to complex, but I have determined the following:
> > >
> > > The property under construction on the 2002 aerial photo at
> > > http://tinyurl.com/3kko5 (which link I posted last night) is a
> > development
> > > called "The Falls, Lots 1 and 2." Then and now it belongs
> > something called
> > > "411 CBR, L.L.C.," the mailing address of which is 1700
> > Pennsylvania Avenue NW,
> > > Suite 900, Washington, DC 20006 (The Mills Building a
block
> > from the White
> > > House). Note that the name of the limited-liability
corporation
> > is a cryptic
> > > version of the street address 411 Chain Bridge Road. I
have
> > found references to
> > > Carr Capital Corporation (real estate finance and
investment)
> > and The Kimsey
> > > Foundation (after the founder of AOL) in the same Suite
900.
> > The 2002
> > > construction produced two very large single-family
detached
> > residences. The
> > > sprawling U-shaped one on the end toward the river
became
> > 409 Chain Bridge Road,
> > > while the one near the street remained 411 Chain Bridge
> > Road, McLean, VA 20006.
> > >
> > > From the Arlington County tax maps, I have determined that
the
> > county boundary
> > > (the DCVA boundary prior to 1846) does NOT run along the
> > northwest property line
> > > of these properties as I supposed last night. In fact, the
county
> > line splits
> > > properties on both sides of the road. These properties
must
> > have already
> > > existed when the boundaries for the new District of
Columbia
> > were superimposed
> > > over them in 1791. From the highly-zoomable GIS maps,
the
> > county line crosses
> > > Chain Bridge Road about 80 feet northwest of the
northwest
> > boundary of "The
> > > Falls," and it encounters the river about 30 feet northwest of
the
> > same
> > > property. Arlington County shows the properties running all
the
> > way to the
> > > river.
> > >
> > > The lot split by the county line northwest of "The Falls" is
600
> > Chain Bridge
> > > Road. That's a Fairfax County address, where the even
> > numbers are on the side
> > > of the road toward the river. So, are the Fairfax County
> > assessments on the
> > > web? Yes! Guess what: The split lot also belongs to the
> > same 411 CBR, L.L.C.,
> > > but it has only a one-story block house with a tar/gravel roof
> > that was built in
> > > 1958 and is in "average" physical condition. Its use is
> > described as a "single
> > > dwelling or patio house." On the aerial photo, this house
does
> > a great job of
> > > hiding in the trees, but it's a long narrow thing even with the
> > back end of the
> > > neighboring new construction.
> > >
> > > The best news of all is that Fairfax County not only has
> > cadastral maps, but
> > > cadastral aerial photos on the web! If you will go to
> > http://tinyurl.com/4gjej
> >
> > oops
> > this apparently isnt working now
> >
> > or can you tweak it again so it does
>

> (1) It still works for me. In any case, the pre-TinyURL-ized URL
is:

http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/Forms/MapDatalet.aspx?transParam
s=..%2fSearch%2fGenericSearch.aspx%3fmode%3dADDRESS
%3b9%3bADDRESS%3b%3b%3b%3b%3b%3b%3b%3bchain+
bridge%3b%3b%3b%3b%3b1%3b15%3b500%3b0%3bFULLA
DD+asc%3b2005%3b%3b%3b&idx=12

> You'll have to click on "Aerials Layers" at the upper left for a
drop-down box
> in which you should check "Aerial Photos." In case it still
doesn't work for
> you, I will send a properly-zoomed photo as an attachment to
you individually.

ok it must be my primitive browser who cant again
so i will just run over to the library now to check this as well as
peters cadastral map on their hopefully better facility

& maybe order up brownlie again while i am at it
for mikes nonborder arcs

so no need for any individual attention yet

> > i do have high hopes that there will be some good news
> > what with all this commotion
> >
> > but i still dont understand how any of the new info i have
seen so
> > far this morning will actually advance the try
> > except for correcting your misconceptions of yesterday
> > which however also didnt advance it
> >
> > well
> > realizing that the building line & county line dont match does
help
> > but only in preventing the mistaken presumption that they do
> >
> > & contacting the owners to get permission would be
pointless in
> > this case because of course they wouldnt want anyone
messing
> > around on their cliff
> >
> > nor could i penetrate or see the point of arifs or brians new
info
> > either for that matter
> >
> > so i hope you will correct me if i am missing something
> > but i do believe you are all beating around the bush
> > in your most recent additions
>

> (2) I would think that having very close-up aerial photos with the
county
> boundary and property lines superimposed would be of
assistance in locating the
> tripoint on the landscape. I do understand what you are
saying, however, below
> about the difficulty of carrying the line down the bluff.

right
& seeing even just a supposedly authoritative overlay map will
go a long way toward corroborating the approximate alignment i
was still so tentatively using on my most recent try around 1996

however i can already very clearly make out every major landform
in the target area that was so indelibly etched on my
consciousness at that time
as i slipped past them with eyeballs bulging & hairs erect

so yes i do anticipate the benefit of further validation
but not even necessarily of a hairline adjustment

still
the real adjustment & advancement on the state of our try will not
be coming from any of these materials
but
first
from the 1928 mathews & nelson report already on order
& then
from the 1947 wm1 marker
most probably still hiding under veggies exactly where i think it is

& only if either of these definitive data fails us
might any derivative & only supposedly authoritative alignments
become better truth

> > whatever is going on atop the cliff might help with the
alignment
> > at the base of the cliff only if one can see & carry the arlington
> > fairfax county line down the cliff
> >
> > but this has already been done fairly well by foot & eye
> > from the pavement change on chain bridge road
> > & nothing i have seen here yet seems to improve on that at
all

> > maybe something in what you guys are saying or showing
can
> > improve on it somehow
> > by a hairline
> > which would be useful
> >
> > but i still dont see it yet
> >
> > the fact that you can develop lots of data doesnt necessarily
> > mean the data will be useful
> >
> > & i dont mean to prejudge what i havent yet seen
> > but anyway
> > we shall see
> >
> > one more insert below tho
> >
> > > , you will find the 600 Chain Bridge Road property
> > circumscribed in red with the
> > > white county line running through it. You can zoom and pan
> > your heart's
> > > content. Enjoy! You can see exactly where and how the
county
> > line meets the
> > > river, although they show it extending into the water where
we
> > know it doesn't
> > > go.
> >
> > we know fairfax extends into the water for the unknown length
of
> > the tripointing stitch
> > tho arlington doesnt
>

> (3) Until rereading the Maryland section of BUS&SS this
morning, I was not
> reminded of the 1877 arbitration that changed the MDVA
boundary to the low-water
> line, thereby neceessitating the stitch to the 1846 DCVA
retrocession line at
> the high-water mark. That explains the mismatch (perhaps ten
feet) between the
> riparian property lines and the Fairfax County boundary in the
river on the
> Fairfax photos, whereas there is no such shown in Arlington
County.

aha
& this
perhaps 10 feet
could prove to be the distance between the wm1 marker & true
dcmdvan
or in other words the length of the tripointing stitch
& thus a fallback route to dcmdvan
if nothing better materializes

& it may really indicate they really know something there at the
county land office

but i wonder where they are getting that 10 feet from

is the fairfax county boundary in the river depicted as a series of
straight headland to headland lines

that might mean fairfax county is using mathews & nelson

& your following info is further encouragement for the anticipated
approach down the bank
rather than down the cliff or up the bank

i mean
after forking off from the potomac heritage trail where it rejoins
the bank above fort marcy

indeed
fort marcy could be the only place one could even hope to park in
that neighborhood too
so i think our entire plan may already have been laid out for us

end fresh insert zone

Thus, it
> appears that the land between the high- and low-water marks
in Fairfax County is
> Virginia public property. Depending on physical conditions of
the bank, this
> might facilitate legal treking along the river during low water.
Come to think
> of it, the land between high and low water along the Arlington
County bank