Subject: Re: DCMDVAN via Potomac Heritage Trail
Date: Aug 08, 2004 @ 23:50
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

i saw that in the trail blurb & on the topo too
& figured it must be so
even tho the trail is named for the river
& even tho it sounds & looks fully 500 feet off its course there

but the first thing the blurb says is
this trail extends along the bank of the river

& the trail is also shown hugging the bank
everywhere else on the map accompanying the blurb

so rather than interpreting these remarks as conflicting
i am guessing that the bit about the george washington parkway
overpass must refer to a small local displacement that the trail
makes from the bank in order to get around the mouth of the little
pimmit run feeder stream there

or maybe it is just an incomplete instruction for how to wend
ones way down from the higher chain bridge causeway level to
river level via the declivity of the feeder stream

but time will tell
& the cliff & rich homes are of course still there if we need them

parking is a bitch in that neighborhood tho

will you be joining us please

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
<bjbutler@b...> wrote:
> The description of the Potomac Heitage Trail at
> http://www.washdc.org/trail8.html says that west of the Chain
Bridge,
> the trail is located beneath the high overpass carrying the
George
> Washington Parkway. This seems to place the trail about a
quarter of
> a mile west of the Potomac River and, worse, west of Pimmit
Run and
> Chain Bridge Road. The previously mentioned "rich homes"
are on the
> east side of Chain Bridge Road (VA 123). Therefore I don't
think the
> existence of the Potomac Heritage Trail says anything about
the
> public/private status of the riverbank, nor does it provide any
> improvement in access to DCMDVAN. Topozonic details at:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=38.931&lon=-77.1204&s
=24&size=m&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25