Subject: Re: Tripoint rating or classes
Date: Aug 06, 2004 @ 15:25
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Petter Brabec
<pete2784west@y...> wrote:

> aletheiak <aletheiak@y...> wrote:
> > & of course there are also our supposedly objective
> > classifications of the objective accuracy of our visits
> >
> > COULD YOU GIVE ME AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT DO YOU
> EXACTLY MEAN HERE?

not sure if this is the old query or a request for more specificity

by supposedly objective here i mean the endeavor has been to
isolate all possible or all major distinct qualities of visits & tries
that everyone could recognize as their own
& then to combine all these into the truest & most beautiful
dartboard bullseye design conception possible
such that everyone might appreciate the result enough to
specially honor it
whether as so much more folk art or as some objective creation

but of course we are also aware that
owing to the limitations of physical existence
everyone sees objective truth to at least some extent subjectively
& differently from everyone else

so one can never be too gentle or tentative about objectivity

& a bonus such extra care & sensitivity pays us
is
to be able to distinguish & appreciate better all the various
subjectivities that may also enter into the discussion

but it is all a function of consciously & deliberately seeking the
truest available truth at every step of every try

> > for how close one can get we have been using an abcde
scale

> > WHICH IS?

ok
now i realize these were both old queries
but i am glad i blundered into adding the above

> class a
> means
> you absolutely got it
> & this is normally applied only to marked tripoints
> where typically you could put your fingertip on the dimple or
> crosshairs or apex that the monument itself uses to represent
> the tripoint
> or it could also be the precise pinnacle of an unmarked
summit
> tripoint
>

> IS SITTING ON THE TOP OF THE MARKED CROSS OF THE
TRIPOINT STONE, LIKE SAY ON THE ARNOLDSTEIN, THE
ULTIMATE CLASS A ? MY GUESS IS, MAYBE NOT ENOUGH.

hahahahaha
the several known tricountry crosses may indeed present the
greatest challenges in the world for true trypointers

but the beau geste you invent & the body part you choose for
attaining your multihood are entirely optional & personal

i myself prefer using the heart or lips
but the right index finger &or the left eyeball can be equally true
especially in combination
when scaling a particularly difficult or precarious monument

however
any skin or even clothed body part at all on the true point means
the ne plus ultra of objective absoluteness has been attained

beyond that lies personal artistry of course
but you are already in the pupil & beam of the bulls eye
& there is nowhere left to go

i think one well known point sitter has already achieved a degree
of penetration tho
if that is what you were really wondering & supposing
but it was by an obelisk apex
somewhere in the baltics

this has never been done on top of a cross so far as i know
& probably shouldnt be undertaken until at least a modicum of
levitation skills have been attained

> class b
> means
> you have basically been there as best as could be
> & this is normally applied only to unmarked points
> where the range of possible precision does vary
> but it presupposes the same maximum diligence as class a
>

> class c
> means
> you got close enough to actually see the tripoint
> or else to clearly visualize the tripoint location
>

> HERE YOU OBVIOUSLY MEAN WITH YOUR OWN EYES IN
THE TERRAIN, RIGHT?

yes

of course we are always doing this here with our minds eyes too
but these are virtual tries
so we havent been counting them the same way

> class d
> means
> you got a distant glimpse
> & only a general sense of the location
>
> class e
> means
> you earnestly tried but your objective completely eluded you
> & for whatever reason & at whatever distance
> you never even saw the exact tripoint location
>

> THESE WET TRIPOINTS COULD BE VISUALIZED BY USING
LASERGADGETS. SAY THIS ATCHLTN TRIPOINT LOCATED ON
RHEIN RIVER. GET YOUR LASERS READY, GET THREE GUYS
IN THE POSITION BY THE WITNESSMARKERS ON THE
RHEIN'S SHORES AND BEAM. THEN YOU´LL GET YOURSELF
FAIRLY GOOD PICTURE OF WHERE EXACTEMENT THIS
TRIPOINT IS LOCATED. THEN, WHILE BEAMING, EVERYONE
CAN GET INTO THEIR CANOE AND PADDLE STRAIGHT AT THE
INTERSECTION OF BEAMS! PERHAPS THEN YOU CAN SAY, "I
REACHED THE WET TRIPOINT", OR WILL IT STILL BE A CLASS
"AS CLOSE AS YOU COULD GET"?

excellent ideas

to visit atchlin class b
which is the best possible visit for that point
it will require at least 1 sighter or laserer & at least 1 tryer

the advantage of the laser beam is that the tryer will be able to
know at all times where the sight line is in relation to himself

without the laser he would have to be taking visual &or verbal
cues from the sighter

but in streams of water the best possible visit is usually
performed on the drift rather than holding steady anyway
& necessarily only lasts an instant

of course it is better if the tryer is conscious in & of that instant
but that could be too much to hope for in many cases

if the river is too deep or swift to just walk out to the deepest part
then it is the intersection of the sight line or laser beam & the line
of strongest current that you will be looking for here

this should be fairly perceptible in a canoe too

in any case
the visual aspect of the thalweg is often a narrow band of flatter
blacker water sometimes with an intermittent hairline slithering
down its midst

& where your laser crosses that slither is where you want to be

> e monument
> so some people have an especially hard time with this one
>

> of course there have been many other proposed systems
> & many other proposed classes to add onto this system
> including some great parodies all the way down to class zzz
> as in only dreaming you tried
>

> ONE CLASS COULD BE TO FIND THE PICTURE OF THE
TRIPOINT IN THE INTERNET!!!!

right
& we have been doing a lot of this too
& sometimes classifying the photos as if they were our visits

if there is someone in the pic at the tripoint
then that photo is class a
etc

but clearly this is no substitute for the real article