Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Divided building (DEFR) near DEFRLU
Date: Aug 04, 2004 @ 09:22
Author: Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Ernst Stavro Blofeld <blofeld_es@yahoo.com>)

> > i dont know why there would be a marker on an
> island in the
> > middle of the delu condo
> > do you

Peers,

There *could* be remnants of earlier border markers on
some islands, but this is extremely unlikely.

At the demarcation almost 200 years ago some fifteen
to twenty markers (can't remember exactly, but I'll
look if someone is interested), most of them pairs,
were placed on either side of the main channels of the
rivers, this resulting in some markers ending up on
islands.

The island in question, however, does not appear to be
among those that carried a marker, although this
island was present (as opposed to some others that
have been destroyed) at the time.

The boundary comission of 1984, that was responsible
for the renewed demarcation of the delu condominium,
has not much to say about the islands.

They rule that all islands in the rivers shall belong
to the condominium, and make a note that they are all
of limited economic value. They try to identify which
islands that have disappeared and which have formed.
Although they do not explicitly state that the islands
are void of buildings, I am quite convinced that any
identified buildings would have been mentioned in the
protocol.

What is said above does not, of course, rule out the
possibility of either a boundary marker or a building
on the island at Moersdorf. The building could, for
example, have been erected after 1984. If so, and if
erected legally, this raises some interesting
questions of how to aquire land in the condominium,
and, at least, shows that this is possible.

In my opinion this is so interesting, that all islands
of the condominium should be closely investigated.
Buildings should be easy to spot from either bank. Any
volunteers? Should we give this assignment to our
prominent agent Peter Hering for next year?

Attached is an orthophoto of the island at Moersdorf.