Subject: Re: Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Aug 01, 2004 @ 22:29
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

> I'm still waiting. The person I emailed has been out of the
> office. I spoke to the secretary of the commissioner last
> week, and she is going to try and get the person I emailed
> to contact me this coming week, after the long weekend.

thats ok

it isnt absolutely necessary to check this any more
for if it had been nad27 canada
the known 5 meter northsouth offset from nad27 conus
would have driven the target position out of the clearcut
& into the tall woods

which isnt a possibilty

> >& so by computation
> >the sight line between monuments 194 & 195
> >crosses the meridian of the idwa marker at
> >nlat 48d59m57s37
> >wlong 117d01m52s85
> >also in equally significant nad27 conus
>
> What program/method are you using to do the computations?

i dont know what to call it
but it was just simple arithmetic
because the available accuracy level isnt great enough
nor the distances involved long enough
for the curvature of the earth to have any noticeable impact

so
first
i found the longitude differentials of the 3 monuments

namely
from 194 to 195
15808 centisecs

& from 194 to 1909
14494 centisecs

& from 1909 to 195
1314 centisecs

& then
i applied the ratio of these differentials
to the latitude differential of 57 centisecs between 194 & 195

this gave the latitude in centisecs to the nearest whole centisec
for the point where the great circle sight line of 194 & 195
crosses the meridian of idwa

& this came out 1 centisec north of the converted plaque coords

& a centisec of latitude is almost exactly 1 foot

> I'm still hoping that eventually I'll hear back from the
> surveyor who set the LSAW plaque. He said to me on the
> phone that at some point(1998?) he did the calculations
> to determine the distance from the monument to the border.

great
tho unless he had better input data than we have i dont see how
he could get a more accurate result than we already have

> >so true bcidwa might fall anywhere from 6 inches to 18
inches
> >north of this marker
> >
> >therefore
> >in this case
> >if you circled the monument at close range
> >as i believe you indicated you actually did
> >& specifically passed by just behind it here in your pic
> >http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=8945&pic=2
> >you couldnt have failed to have made your point class b
>
> Yes, I walked 'all around' the monument, more than once,
> as I took notes, pictures, and video.
>
> >until the ibc either improves their coords
> >to thousandths of a second
>
> Aside from the datum issue, if the IBC website coordinates
> are indeed official, then by implication the thousandths
> of a second are already known - either they are shown on
> the IBC website listing, or they are zero.

i dont believe that the published coords are nearly as official as
the monuments themselves

todays professional grade survey art could get us from 2 decimal
places of degminsec all the way down to 5 decimal places of it

thats submillimetric accuracy

& it will undoubtedly become the standard in due time
as it is already wherever new surveys are made

so we can expect
future generations of ibc surveyors to improve upon these 194 &
195 coords
& future generations of trypointers to use these improvements to
improve upon our try

> >or else cleans up the clearcut enough to actually make all 3
> >monuments intervisible
> >as i believe they theoretically should be
>
> Due to the topography of the area you will never be able
> to see BCIDWA from monument 195, but monument 194 is to
> the west, up on a ridge, and from there you may be able
> to see both BCIDWA and monument 195.

yes
this is clearly the best hope now
& i think a very good hope indeed
for an eyeballed try rather than a merely computed try

> My photos show the
> ridge as seen from both BCIDWA and monument 195, but
> I don't know exactly where monument 194 is located, so
> it might, for example, be possible to see 195 from 194,
> but not see BCIDWA.

they are almost always set on the ridge line
especially in such remote areas
so as to be as visible as possible generally
as well as to be intervisible in both directions
& thus to require as few monuments as absolutely necessary

the topo confirms this too

just bushwhacking west along the clearcut from bcidwa might
well be the best way to reach 194