Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Aug 01, 2004 @ 20:39
Author: Dave Patton [DCP] ("Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@...>)

At 12:58 PM 2004/08/01, aletheiak wrote:
>dave
>
>just to sum up now as much as possible

> > I have sent an email to the IBC asking what version of NAD27
> > they have used, but haven't yet received an answer.
> > I assumed NAD27 CONUS.
>
>right
>& since no news is good news
>i am even more prepared now than i already was to assume this
>with you too

I'm still waiting. The person I emailed has been out of the
office. I spoke to the secretary of the commissioner last
week, and she is going to try and get the person I emailed
to contact me this coming week, after the long weekend.

>& so by computation
>the sight line between monuments 194 & 195
>crosses the meridian of the idwa marker at
>nlat 48d59m57s37
>wlong 117d01m52s85
>also in equally significant nad27 conus

What program/method are you using to do the computations?

I'm still hoping that eventually I'll hear back from the
surveyor who set the LSAW plaque. He said to me on the
phone that at some point(1998?) he did the calculations
to determine the distance from the monument to the border.

>so true bcidwa might fall anywhere from 6 inches to 18 inches
>north of this marker
>
>therefore
>in this case
>if you circled the monument at close range
>as i believe you indicated you actually did
>& specifically passed by just behind it here in your pic
>http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=8945&pic=2
>you couldnt have failed to have made your point class b

Yes, I walked 'all around' the monument, more than once,
as I took notes, pictures, and video.

>until the ibc either improves their coords
>to thousandths of a second

Aside from the datum issue, if the IBC website coordinates
are indeed official, then by implication the thousandths
of a second are already known - either they are shown on
the IBC website listing, or they are zero.

>or else cleans up the clearcut enough to actually make all 3
>monuments intervisible
>as i believe they theoretically should be

Due to the topography of the area you will never be able
to see BCIDWA from monument 195, but monument 194 is to
the west, up on a ridge, and from there you may be able
to see both BCIDWA and monument 195. My photos show the
ridge as seen from both BCIDWA and monument 195, but
I don't know exactly where monument 194 is located, so
it might, for example, be possible to see 195 from 194,
but not see BCIDWA.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/