Subject: Re: Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Aug 01, 2004 @ 19:58
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

dave

just to sum up now as much as possible
& then suspend the try until we can do better

> >i was able to copy these nad83 coords for the 1909 disk
> >as presented on the 1998 tablet
> >nlat 48d59m57s110
> >wlong 117d01m56s715

> >& tho the bcidwa monument does appear to be situated near
the
> >middle of the clearcut & therefore nearly smack dab on caus
> >these coords dont compare well to the nad83 coords for the
> >neighboring markers published by the ibc
>
> The International Boundary Commission(IBC) website has
> both NAD83 and NAD27 coordinates for the boundary markers.
> Note that the NAD27 ones are listed as being official, while
> the NAD83 coordinates have been derived by software.
> I have sent an email to the IBC asking what version of NAD27
> they have used, but haven't yet received an answer.
> I assumed NAD27 CONUS.

right
& since no news is good news
i am even more prepared now than i already was to assume this
with you too

therefore
best available ibc coords are as follows
in nad27 presumably conus
monument 195
nlat 48d59m57s42
wlong 117d01m39s71
&
monument 194
nlat 48d59m56s85
wlong 117d04m17s79

&
the coords for the 1909 idwa marker given above
when converted to nad27 conus
are
in fully & equally significant digits
nlat 48d59m57s36
wlong 117d01m52s85

& so by computation
the sight line between monuments 194 & 195
crosses the meridian of the idwa marker at
nlat 48d59m57s37
wlong 117d01m52s85
also in equally significant nad27 conus

& thus happily
we can forget my earlier rough guesses in the 2 to 3 meter range
which were problematic anyway in not matching the clearcut well
as indicated in your pix 6 & 7
because
we can now
more accurately
compute
indeed to the nearest hundredth of a second or whole foot
that the 1909 idwa disk center stands
1 foot due south of true bcidwa

that is
as opposed to 2 feet or no feet due south of it

so true bcidwa might fall anywhere from 6 inches to 18 inches
north of this marker

therefore
in this case
if you circled the monument at close range
as i believe you indicated you actually did
& specifically passed by just behind it here in your pic
http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=8945&pic=2
you couldnt have failed to have made your point class b

so extra congrats are in order effective immediately

but we still wont know more exactly where along these 12 inches
the tripoint actually lies until the ibc either improves their coords
to thousandths of a second to match those on the tablet
or else cleans up the clearcut enough to actually make all 3
monuments intervisible
as i believe they theoretically should be

but it seems we are as complete & accurate as possible for now
anyway