Subject: Re: Tripoint rating or classes
Date: Jul 31, 2004 @ 00:08
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell
<knm@m...> wrote:

> >class a
>
> Is there any formal definition of multipoint type as well? For
example, you
> have international points, state points, county points (which
could be at
> the second level in some countries), municipality points and
so on..

not sure i understand all of what you are looking for kevin
but appreciate the opportunity to try to clarify some questions that
may be included in it

we have been acknowledging the interrelatedness
if not the actual hierarchy
of all the geopolitical subdivisions & multipoints in the world
in 2 ways

not only
by specially recognizing a primary or world class
comprising what we also call the tricountry points
& then following on secondarily by whatever the local
subdivisions are
& then tertiarily by whatever the more local subsubdivisions are
etc etc
a development which as you suggest doesnt at all necessarily
occur in parallel from one region or locality to the next

but also
by so doggedly adhering as we do to our very special but
perhaps overworked cockabebble notational system
which makes every authentic multipoint on earth both
immediately expressible & easily identifiable as well as easily
searchable

as for example my own closest exemplar us2ct3li4cacogono
almost in sight of cream hill here
a quaternary or fourth level quadripoint
or what could also be called a quadrimunicipal point
of the towns of canaan cornwall goshen & norfolk
in litchfield county
state of connecticut
usa

& since this hierarchy purports to homogeneity only at the
highest level
if at all
& becomes more & more frankly & unabashedly heterogeneous
the more subdivided it goes
any supposedly hierarchical typology is condemned to a
substantial degree of unevenness & absurdity practically before
it even descends below the tricountry point level

a functional typology
on another hand
might work slightly better than a hierarchical one if you were
prepared to ignore &or accept possibly huge gaps & special
insertions in certain areas
since some places may require 9 levels of functionalities to
accomplish what other places can do in 2 or 3

but this too is not a terribly satisfactory basis for any systematic
typology imo

rather i think we should remember at all times that we cant afford
to take any of this typogony too seriously
since practically every example of everything we ever seek here
when we are actually multipointing
is not only unique but highly idiosyncratic as well

& i think any progress we might momentarily seem to make in
typonomy is almost bound to be illusory & indeed purely nominal

or would you not agree at this point

for i know you have studied these areas a lot too

& your following question
i believe
is squarely on the same difficult & messy beam
in adding the eez tripoints to this already overtaxed scheme

but is fortunately off the topic entirely
for bringing in the latitude longitude intersections
since these are indeed an entirely gratuitous complication
or rather a pure excursion
if we are talking about geopolitical multipointing

but as i say
i am not really sure what exactly you are seeking in all this
& grant i may have missed your actual point of curiosity

perhaps a grand registry of all the significant points on earth

that would be a thing of beauty

> suppose you can also add things like latitude/longitude and
EEZ points as