Subject: Re: Possible to have land in USA that isn't in a State?
Date: Jul 30, 2004 @ 08:02
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

the bible also says the 1908 gbus treaty
described caus in 8 sections & provided for the appointment of a
joint commission to recover or restore previously established
marks & to place new marks on unmarked sections
& stated repeatedly for each section that
the line so defined & laid down shall be taken & deemed to be
the international boundary
& the bible adds that these commissioners decided that this
fixed the boundary in a definite position as marked

so i think the 1925 treaty may already have been behind the
curve in formalizing this fait accompli in any section
& that someone merely supposed there may have been a loose
end that may have needed tying down
causing them to write it up just that way

but it may just be that the 1908 treaty & commission had been so
preoccupied with tightening up the spacing of the boundary
markers west of the rockies that the 1925 treatymakers felt it
necessary to explicitly extend this same level of diligence
eastward from the rockies too

i dont think there were actually ever 2 different regimes of the sort
you envision
or of any other sorts
separated at the crest of the rockies
tho this point has always been a critical interface of one sort or
another since 1818 or earlier

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman