Subject: Re: River boundaries
Date: Jul 28, 2004 @ 18:44
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

please look for various inserts

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Clive,
>
> Welcome among us!

same here

> The best source of authoritative boundary descriptions is
BOUNDARIES OF THE
> UNITED STATES AND THE SEVERAL STATES [BUS&SS] by
Franklin K. Van Zandt. The
> most recent version was published in 1976 as Geological
Survey Professional
> Paper 909 and is long out of print. You should be able to find it
at the UT
> library. Some of us have been working on an electronic
version of the text,
> which should eventually become available.

yesss
i was hoping you would pick up this torch
since brian has apparently trailed off on it

> There have been a handful of Supreme Court decisions and
interstate compacts
> since that publication that have affected state boundaries. All
of the court
> decisions and many of the compacts can be found on-line.
>
> Boundaries in and about watercourses can run along the
thalweg, the median line,
> or the high-water mark, the low-water mark, or even the
vegetation line on one
> side or the other.

the vegetation line is generally & implicitly
if not always explicitly
the same thing as the high water mark

Such boundaries can be subject to movement by accretion,
> avulsion,

not normally by avulsion alone

or both, or they can be permanently frozen by the stream's
natural
> position at a particular time or by artificial channelization.

these are examples of natural & artificial avulsion respectively

Which of these
> many regimes obtains along a particular boundary water often
depends on the whim
> of the statesmen who adopted the pertinent documents.

but much more often on actual political factors at the time

as well as on what makes most sense & works best for all
but this only secondarily

more below

> Some rivers that meet your criterion of having a boundary along
one side or the
> other are: the Connecticut, the Potomac, the Ohio, the
Chattahoochee, and the
> Red. There are probably others. The boundary in the
Colorado is the "middle"
> of the river.
>
> One of the most significant and recent boundary settlements
was the Red River
> Compact, effective in 1999, that set the Texas-Oklahoma
boundary at the
> vegetation line on the right bank of the Red River. See
> http://ssl.csg.org/compactlaws/redriverbound.rtf .
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

browsing the
> > past messages and the items in the file repository. I
particularly
> > enjoyed the document which described the visits to all of the
U.S.
> > tripoints.

yes all the dry domestic ones without fail

that is jack parsells fantastic book

our first & only real tripointing bible

written back in the 20th century yet

> > By way of introduction, I have always been interested in maps
and
> > boundaries and travel in general. During the 1990's, I set a
goal of
> > flying my kite in every one of the 50 states before the end of
the
> > millennium. I did a lot of travelling in the final two years, but
> > managed to pull it off. In the process, I visited several of the
> > tripoints myself and often tried to fly the kite at those
locations.
> > The kite has also flown in Red Square, the Great Wall of
China, and
> > various other world landmarks in all continents except
Antarctica.

> > I'd like to throw out a few questions to you folks dealing with
my
> > current interest, which is rivers on the boundaries of U.S.
states.
> > By my rough count, there are 39 U.S. rivers that form part of
one or
> > more state boundaries. I'm now in the process of doing a
more
> > careful survey and count. I would love to hear from anybody
who
> > could point me to sources which can supply detailed
boundary
> > descriptions for each state. So far, I find that the State
> > constitutions are a good source, but they usually don't
include years
> > of court decisions resolving various disputes. Is there a
good
> > source for the current accepted boundary info?
> >
> > One of the specific interests I have is identifying rivers where
the
> > boundary line does not travel down the middle of the river, but
where
> > in fact one state claims the whole river. I believe the
Potomac is
> > one example, and I read somewhere that the Colorado
between
> > California and Arizona is another instance, but I haven't
verified
> > this. Does anybody know of any other rivers that meet this
> > condition? Are there any cases where both banks (as
opposed to just
> > the entire river) lie in the same state?

yes
fortuitously
many localized instances following avulsions

& sometimes deliberately
at tripoints

a little wedge of pennsylvania for example sprawls at least a foot
onto the left bank of the delaware at njnypa
except at high flood stage

plus there is also a strange quasiofficial tristate monument for
alflga that is clearly inset a full 3 feet or so in from the steep bank
of the chattahoochee
where georgia really ends

but otherwise the marker might fall into the river next time it rains

i suppose it could be considered a witness marker rather than a
direct monument
but it pretends to be direct

& i suppose manh might also answer to the question
except that this state line is inset not 3 feet but fully 3 miles from
the left bank of the merrimack river