Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] River boundaries
Date: Jul 28, 2004 @ 05:57
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Clive,

Welcome among us!

The best source of authoritative boundary descriptions is BOUNDARIES OF THE
UNITED STATES AND THE SEVERAL STATES [BUS&SS] by Franklin K. Van Zandt. The
most recent version was published in 1976 as Geological Survey Professional
Paper 909 and is long out of print. You should be able to find it at the UT
library. Some of us have been working on an electronic version of the text,
which should eventually become available.

There have been a handful of Supreme Court decisions and interstate compacts
since that publication that have affected state boundaries. All of the court
decisions and many of the compacts can be found on-line.

Boundaries in and about watercourses can run along the thalweg, the median line,
or the high-water mark, the low-water mark, or even the vegetation line on one
side or the other. Such boundaries can be subject to movement by accretion,
avulsion, or both, or they can be permanently frozen by the stream's natural
position at a particular time or by artificial channelization. Which of these
many regimes obtains along a particular boundary water often depends on the whim
of the statesmen who adopted the pertinent documents.

Some rivers that meet your criterion of having a boundary along one side or the
other are: the Connecticut, the Potomac, the Ohio, the Chattahoochee, and the
Red. There are probably others. The boundary in the Colorado is the "middle"
of the river.

One of the most significant and recent boundary settlements was the Red River
Compact, effective in 1999, that set the Texas-Oklahoma boundary at the
vegetation line on the right bank of the Red River. See
http://ssl.csg.org/compactlaws/redriverbound.rtf .

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA