Subject: Re: Re; Map sites (ATCHFLN)
Date: Jul 27, 2004 @ 03:50
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

exactly
but as mentioned
136 is only millimetrically better than 134
& 134 is only centimetrically better than 133
& the line on top of 135 alone is of unknown but probably fairly
good accuracy too

so your eyes probably wont be able to discern from the bank any
difference at all in the tripoint position that each of these means
of alignment might produce
not only because of the long sighting distances involved but
especially because of the uncertainty of the thalweg position

only if someone actually tries to find the thalweg empirically by
somehow reaching the deepest & swiftest part of the stream
while someone else sights thru him by the best available means
just as he reaches & passes across this sight line
might any difference be noticed
but even then i rather doubt it

however the great virtue of doing this is that it will upgrade the
best known visit from a class d to a class b
which is more to the point

& if by any chance the thalweg is visible from the bank
as they sometimes are up close but rarely are from any distance
then you could conceivably attain class c even without getting wet
by just focusing on the intersection of the visible crosshairs
produced by the thread of the stream & the monument sight line

vis vobiscum

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman

http://www.nicolette.dk/borderbase/tripoint.php?c1=8&c2=85&c3