Subject: Re: Possible to have land in USA that isn't in a State?
Date: Jul 22, 2004 @ 14:27
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

dave i also just realized your best guessed position for true
bcidwa
of about half an inch north of disk center
if i have understood everything right
is still based only on hearsay

granted it is the testimony of a local & an expert

but i dont think we have actually confirmed even class c yet
by any objective criteria

the disk could be substantially farther off line in either direction
than either of us has previously supposed

so until we tie the monument positions together
we cant even presume class d

you may not yet have actually seen true bcidwa
since you may not yet actually know where it is

you have at least a very earnest class e tho

that can never be doubted

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak"
<aletheiak@y...> wrote:
> ok
> i was imagining you actually had a sight line
> or else actually performed great circle distance computations
> based on the published or empirically determined geocoords
for
> all 3 markers
> on which to base your estimated half inch offset
> & to claim a correspondingly measured class b visit
>
> so evidently it was not quite so punctilious as i had thought
>
> but still
> you are certainly looking at no less than a very close class c
visit

> also it may be worth noting that if the 1909 idwa marker really
> was set exactly on the 49th parallel as i believe your informant
> reported
> however improbably so
> given the state of survey art as of that date
> it would not have fallen south of caus
> as he apparently also concluded
> but north of it
> by both the nad27 & the nad83 ibs coords
> yikes
>
> & that would mean the disk center isnt in the usa at all but in
> canada
> yikes
> & that true bcidwa isnt half an inch north but some unknown
> distance south of the disk center
>
> which direction is frankly hard to believe
> tho thats what the data as presented are adding up to saying
>
> so happily we still have somewhere to go in fine tuning this
one

> usgs bulletin 466 for starters
> since the bible promises it somehow ties the markers together
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]"
> <dpatton@c...> wrote:
> > At 02:32 PM 2004/07/21, aletheiak wrote:
> > >were you actually able to sight along the caus line from
> marker
> > >195 to marker 194 across the face of the 1909 idwa
terminal