Subject: Re: Info re BCIDWA and BCIDMT tripoints
Date: Jul 20, 2004 @ 05:20
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]"

_______________________

> >Message: 2
> > Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:38:58 -0000
> > From: "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
> >Subject: Re: Info re BCIDWA and BCIDMT tripoints
> >
> >major congrats dave
> >especially as bcidwa was looking far more challenging than
bcidmt
> >in terms of remoteness & physical difficulty
> >not to mention in terms of its punctology
> >so bravissimos
> >
> >was that a class a
>
> This group's "visit class categories" are so 'fuzzy' that
> I don't think I can say with any certainty. However, I
> think you'll see when I write up my visit that it probably
> is a "Class A" visit, or some variation thereof.
>
> >indeed was it monumented after all
>
> Yes.

if you think they are fuzzy at all
then maybe you just havent fully understood them yet

they are actually quite simple rigorous distinct & comprehensive

& i realize they wouldnt work at all for confluencing
but they are quite meaningful if not perfect for tripointing

for example
since this bcidwa tripoint is marked by a monument
if you touched the place on the monument that marks the tripoint
such as
usually
the vertex of an obelisk or a crosshairs or dimple on a flat top
then you visited your point class a
absolutely

you absolutely made your point
assuming the rock wasnt too dilapidated to still be accurate
or otherwise compromised

but if the tripoint hadnt been marked by any monument
as is the case with few dry but most wet points for example
then a visit couldnt be absolutely validated but only indirectly
inferred from secondary data
so the best possible visit try would only have been class b

a basic visit all right but still perhaps a little blurred

& probably only in such a case btw might a gps reading for
example have been useful for validation

but class b is not necessarily less accurate or less good than
class a

rather class b is only probably less accurate than class a
no matter how carefully one may have tried
as well as definitely different in quality

these 2 top classes are both the best possible visits for their
respective situations & conditions

now
back to your monumented tripoint or all tripoints generally

if you didnt actually touch the tripoint but merely saw it distinctly
however close you may have come
then that is only class c
as in close

if you saw the tripoint from such a distance that it was indistinct
or could only be generally or approximately visualized
then that is only class d
as in distant

& if you earnestly tried but never reached or even saw the tripoint
whether from a great distance or even from right beside the
marker
then that is class e
as in elusive

thats right
there have actually been cases where someone saw & even
touched the marker but still never reached nor even saw the
tripoint itself

so our abcde classes dont really describe relative distances but
only characteristics of relative precision & clarity

& they apply equally to visits or to photos of visits btw

& i can imagine all this might be a lot different from the extreme
reliance on gps & photographic validation that confluencers use

but we are interested in different things & in doing them
differently too

& of course the points & norms of confluencing might seem
equally fuzzy to multipointers

like in our terms i believe you all never actually achieve class a
but accept the limitations of your instruments as your basic point
size

so your points are actually not points at all but small circles
& thus i believe all your visits correspond at best to our class b
being not absolute but just the best available approximations

but that doesnt necessarily make you fuzzy
only different
& necessarily so