Subject: world class border arc census was Re: real bjneng try afoot
Date: Jul 17, 2004 @ 15:18
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Summarized from BUS&SS:
>
> After several less than clear colonial grants, the two colonies
found themselves
> at odds over their two boundaries (Maine then being part of
Massachusetts).
> Finally, New Hampshire appealed to the King [George II]. The King
ordered
> commissioners appointed from several neighboring colonies. They
met at Hampton
> in 1737 and submitted a report. In 1740, the King decreed by
orders in council:

> "...a similar line pursuing the course of the Merrimack river, at
three miles
> distance, on the north side thereof, beginning at the Atlantic
Ocean, and ending
> at a point due north of Pautucket falls, and a straight line drawn
from thence,
> due west..."
>
> The King sent the decree to Governor Belcher (who governed both
colonies) with
> instructions to ask both assemblies to mark the boundary jointly,
and if either
> wouldn't, the other could. Massachusetts didn't. New Hampshire
did. Two
> surveyors were appointed. In 1741, George Mitchell did the three-
mile river
> line, and Richard Hazzen did the westward line. The reports of
the surveyors
> have been lost, but their marks survived.
>
> The two states appointed commissioners to run and mark the line
again in 1825.
> They recovered the original line. Monuments were erected in
1827. An 1885
> joint commission was empowered to re-run and re-mark the three-
mile river line.
> They did so, "changing it only to a trifling extent."

ahh thanx for saving me another trip to the truck for the bible

also
about your addition below
offshore town boundaries can likewise depend on what municipal laws
say

for example
in cases where towns want to & can limit their responsibility

& finally
about the split level interstate salisbury seabrook quadripoint
specifically sought & propounded by mike
namely us2manh3esro4manhsase in full regalia
without detaining ourselves over the probably also relevant limits
of essex & rockingham counties
it appears from mikes map that this point may fall not where the
state line crosses the low tide line
but rather where the state line crosses the high tide line
because the state of massachusetts has preempted the tidal flats for
its state beach

& yes i know we can also get into all sorts of questions about
whether this state beach is situated in the town of seabrook
&or in the county of essex
rather than only in the state of mass
etc etc
so this sort of thing can get rather esoteric as well as amorphous

& in general i would say
split level primary & secondary multipoints are often tricky enough

add the tertiary & quaternary etc levels
& you never know what imponderabilities you will find

> As for the off-shore extent of the town boundaries, it all depends
on what the
> respective state laws say.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA