Subject: world class border arc census was Re: real bjneng try afoot
Date: Jul 17, 2004 @ 15:49
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman
<mikekaufman79@y...> wrote:
> About MA-NH - I was wondering if it was originally
> monumented or if it were specified as 3 miles from the
> thalweg or north (or south) bank or median line.

is that if or if
as in whether or
or only or or or or

in any case
no original border is originally monumented

a delineation or delimitation evidently always precedes monumentation

it is hard to imagine an exception

successor borders however usually are originally monumented

this particular border was evidently originally delineated 3 miles
from the river
hence from its north bank

or since the river meanders so
lets call this the left bank to avoid further confusion

If
> this were true, it would be a living, moving boundary
> on land.

technically it was a living moving boundary on land until it was
monumented
tho it was probably not noticed moving much
any more than avulsion is noticed in action

indeed far less presumably
since who was there to run back & forth the 3 miles & keep measuring

Any line between two towns in one state
> defined as ending at the state line would thus produce
> moving tripoints.

this is true anywhere the state line is a living moving state line

true of county lines as well
etc

end inserts