Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] world class border arc census was Re: real bjneng try afoot
Date: Jul 17, 2004 @ 02:26
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Summarized from BUS&SS:

After several less than clear colonial grants, the two colonies found themselves
at odds over their two boundaries (Maine then being part of Massachusetts).
Finally, New Hampshire appealed to the King [George II]. The King ordered
commissioners appointed from several neighboring colonies. They met at Hampton
in 1737 and submitted a report. In 1740, the King decreed by orders in council:

"...a similar line pursuing the course of the Merrimack river, at three miles
distance, on the north side thereof, beginning at the Atlantic Ocean, and ending
at a point due north of Pautucket falls, and a straight line drawn from thence,
due west..."

The King sent the decree to Governor Belcher (who governed both colonies) with
instructions to ask both assemblies to mark the boundary jointly, and if either
wouldn't, the other could. Massachusetts didn't. New Hampshire did. Two
surveyors were appointed. In 1741, George Mitchell did the three-mile river
line, and Richard Hazzen did the westward line. The reports of the surveyors
have been lost, but their marks survived.

The two states appointed commissioners to run and mark the line again in 1825.
They recovered the original line. Monuments were erected in 1827. An 1885
joint commission was empowered to re-run and re-mark the three-mile river line.
They did so, "changing it only to a trifling extent."

As for the off-shore extent of the town boundaries, it all depends on what the
respective state laws say.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA