Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Gibraltar
Date: Jun 09, 2004 @ 14:56
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

>Just reinforces the status of Gibraltar as the worst geopolitical pimple
>on the face of the earth since Hong Kong and Macao became SARs of China.

I have long been of the opinion that external territories/dependencies
should be identified by their specific ISO 3166-1 entry for
geopolitical/geophysical purposes. This does produce a few anomalies, but I
still think it's more accurate than claiming such territories are integral
parts of the parent country.

There is arguably a case for producing separate codes for 'federated'
states (e.g. Kingdom of Denmark, Kingdom of the Netherlands, China) so one
can clearly distinguish between the parent state or the combined entity.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell