Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Gibraltar
Date: Jun 09, 2004 @ 13:44
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

>Why those geniuses in Brussels didn't just treat Gibraltar like Andorra or
>Switzerland in the first place is beyond me.

The Gibraltar situation is by no means unique within the EU. The Canary
Islands (ES), Ceuta (ES), Melilla (ES), Aaland Islands (FI), Guadeloupe
(FR), Martinique (FR), Reunion (FR), Mayotte (FR) and French Guiana (FR)
are in the EU, but outside of the VAT area. The Bailiwicks of Guernsey and
Jersey, and the Isle of Man are not in the EU, but part of the customs
union. Furthermore, Buesingen (DE) and Campione (IT) are outside the VAT
area, whilst Heligoland (DE) is outside both the customs union and VAT
area. Finally, I believe Ceuta and Melilla are outside the Schengen Area,
even though the rest of Spain is part of it.

Perhaps even more interesting is that all the French Overseas Territories
(TOMs) are able to participate in the European Parliamentary elections,
even though none of them are actually in the EU!

Regards,

Kevin Meynell