Subject: Re: vatican tidbit
Date: Apr 15, 2004 @ 01:17
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

peter

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
<raedwulf16@y...>
> wrote:
> > did you know that although the Holy See(Vatican City State) is
> > sovereign entity apart from Italy,those world famous columns
"out
> > front" are partly in Rome!!? .It appears that the boundary is
> > located in the mid section of the columns.
>
> http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/index_scv.htm ff. The
columns:
> http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig03a.jpg and
> http://www.globalgeografia.com/europa/vaticano/fig03b.jpg . So
not in
> the middle of the colonnade; it's just that those columns that
> are "sticking out" are in Italy.

the author evidently bases this conclusion on too literal a
reading of the treaty maps
which are so crudely schematic as to ignore not just these 2 but
all the propylaea that stick out from the basic colonnades

but the official vatican map is more architecturally detailed & thus
indicates & includes these in vatican territory
while incidentally not laying claim to the questionable triangle

& the official vatican list of extraterritorial properties that you
provide below does not mention them as being extraterritorial

& i am not aware that italy has ever claimed that they are in italy
nor can i imagine she ever would
as they are so clearly part of the architectural whole that the
boundary was so clearly intended to enclose

also unless i am mistaken
such a peculiar territorial division would make these colonnades
the only divided buildings anywhere on itva
which is unique in being fundamentally if not entirely an
architecturally based boundary