Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] manmade feature borders was Re: Strange section chit border
Date: Apr 13, 2004 @ 00:43
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike wrote:

> however there are also in the treaty text 2 verbal descriptions of
> the limits of italian police jurisdiction
>
> but i cant tell if these were intended as further substantiation of
> the delineation shown on the map
> nor can i be sure they even agree with each other
>
> one apparently indicates
> the outer lines & prolongation of the colonnade
>
> & the other apparently indicates
> the foot of the steps leading to the basilica

Remember back in 1981, when a Turkish prison escapee shot Pope John Paul II in
St. Peter's Square? I remember that it was reported at the time that he was
arrested on the site by the Italian police and prosecuted in an Italian court.
I wondered back then how that worked, when the Vatican City was supposed to be
sovereign. Then, in 2000, then Italian President Ciampi pardoned the guy after
the Pope had requested clemency for him "if Italian law permitted it." After
the pardon, the Italian government extradited him to Turkey to serve a ten-year
sentence for the murder of a newspaper editor there before he shot the Pope.

This is powerful evidence that Italian police power does cover the Piazza di San
Pietro "to the foot of the steps of the Basillica" despite the fact that it is
part of the Vatican City State. So says the treaty!

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA