Subject: Re: CADK - Hans Ø Dispute
Date: Apr 01, 2004 @ 21:51
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx
& which allows me to complete my puzzle as follows

assuming hans island has just appeared from nowhere
which btw it really seems to have done
since cadk was delineated practically right thru it 30 years ago
without anyone noticing its presence at that time

& assuming also that the opposing coastlines both fall at
roughly 10 miles distance from this even now almost
nonexistent speck of land

& assuming
or rather
for as long as
jespers original & winning proposal to split the island down the
middle remains unactualized

then
how much total territory gets transferred from one country to the
other with each hoisting of a flag & flagon
at each alternating visit
to their defacto timeshare cocktail condo

i think the answer is under 80 square miles of total flipflop

& admittedly the difference between owning 80 or 40 or zero is
not nothing
especially if it is full of gas

so i stand inflated

also
since this island parts the nares strait so perfectly
shouldnt it rather be called booger island

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike asked:
>
> > isnt hans island situated in such a narrow passage that it
could
> > hardly affect much territorial sea anyway
> > either way it goes
> > not to mention any eez
>
> The only map that I have that shows Hans Island is Microsoft
STREETS & TRIPS,
> which contains the notice "This data includes information
taken with permission
> from Canadian authorities © Her Majesty the Queen in Right of
Canada." The
> island is not named, but it is very clearly shown at latitude
80.83° N,
> longitude 66.65° W.
>
> The Nares Strait between Greenland and Ellesmere Island
averages about 24 miles
> wide. The shortest distance between Hans Island and
Ellesmere Island is
> approximately ten miles. The shortest distance between Hans
Island and a larger
> and clearly Danish island near the Greenland coast is also
approximately ten
> miles. Holding dividers us to my computer screen, I can
determine that Hans
> Island is about one-eighth of a mile closer to the clearly
Danish island near
> Greenland than it is to Ellesmere Island. Of course, this
assumes that the
> digital mapping is that accurate.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA