Subject: Re: New Subject - Gwadur
Date: Mar 29, 2004 @ 14:35
Author: Joachim Duester ("Joachim Duester" <jduester@...>)

Well, we are talking here about
http://www.home.pages.at/maxifant/Frames/gwadar.htm
- Gwadar, Gwadur, Guadar - it's all the same actually in different
tranliteration.

To claim that Sultan Said "offered" it "for sale" is ludicrous, as
well as the claim that there were offers from the UK, Iran and the
USSR. The story of Gwadar is well covered in some recently published
sources, though little is found about it in the Internet. Muscat
reliquished sovereignty over Gwadar in 1958, after many years of
Pakistani efforts to obtain that piece of territory. Sultan Said
always refused to negotiate directly with Pakistan, and authority was
not handed over to Pakistan, but under an arrangement made with the
BRITISH (not Pakistani) government, he withdrew his administrators
from Gwadar in September 1958 and Pakistani officials arrived hours
later to take over. The refusal to negotiate with Pakistan and the
absence of a formal handover to Pakistan seem to indicate that he did
not accept the loss of Gwadar, and that he wanted to show that he only
yielded to British pressure. On the other hand, he was very precise as
to the amounts of money to be paid to him through the British
government and how and where they were to be deposited. If I remember
correctly, it was the equivalent of 3 million pound sterling, paretly
to be paid in US dollars. Also in 1958, Sultan Said insisted that the
agreement of 1891 entered into by his grandfather Sultan Faisal with
Britain "never to cede, sell or mortgage" any part of his territory to
a foreign power should be abolished (and it was abolished by an
agreement in the form of an exchange of letters). He probably argued
that he was now asked to cede Muscat territory - i.e. Gwadar - to a
foreign nation, exactly what the British had requested Muscat NOT to
do in 1891 ...

Joachim Duester

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"