Subject: Re: atchit wasnt chfrit -> Lost cairn?
Date: Mar 05, 2004 @ 16:59
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

congrats on both of you for bringing us to this new level
the millimetric level
of punctological refinement

the question of what happens to a tripoint when its marker warps
out is of course extremely interesting
especially for absolutists

we have seen far coarser examples at manyvt & arlatx
where the warp is in centimeters or even decimeters

& in those cases
as in all cases of advanced dilapidation
it seems clear that finding the true tripoint means mentally
reconstructing the original monumentation & intention

& i think that is probably right for all but the slightest warps
which presumably would not even be noticed

so
by the same token
in a case like this
where the marker may well have slightly disintegrated
as distinct from actually displacing horizontally
there doesnt appear to be any question what the original
monumentation & intention were

a clean straight tee or wye junction

whether only a stylized rationalization of natural borders
such as we saw in large at kytnva

or whether representating actual sight lines or invisible beelines
to other markers

or some combination of these possibilities

but in any case
the tripoint marker itself seems unequivocal

& any millimetric jog would appear to be out of the question for
this reason

but happily we will get some real eyeballs directly on this before
long

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman