Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: atchit wasnt chfrit -> Lost cairn?
Date: Mar 03, 2004 @ 00:57
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I think I can explain the apparent 1-cm offset in the ATIT line on the top of
the stone. It is a spurious effect of lighting.

The lines are carved as deep V-shaped channels in the stone, and the lighting is
from the upper right. Thus the Swiss and Austrian sides of both V's are in
shadow, while the Italian side of each is lit and appears white. All you are
seeing here in this black-and-white photo are the shadowed halves of each line,
while the actual boundaries lie in the bottom of each V. The same offset effect
can be observed in the left serif of the letter "I" for Italy.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA