Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Israel Army Proposes to Create Enclaves
Date: Feb 14, 2004 @ 07:41
Author: Michael Kaufman (Michael Kaufman <mikekaufman79@...>)

I guess it's how you define it. I gather your
interpretation is that of taking infinite
horizontal-plane crossections of the space we have in
question. Then tracing the border and projecting
upwards. The horizontal surfaces as differences are
easy to see if you think about a simplified bridge
with perfectly straight lines.
But what about a person standing on a bridge. Again,
north of the median line of the Rio Grande, but south
of the marker. Take a horizantal plane crossing me at
some point through my legs. This plane would have a
border as projected directly upwards from the river
median line. It would also contain two circular-esque
enclaves of Mexico in US, the two enclaves being the
cross-section of each leg.
But you can only project this upwards until there is a
change whereby the cross-section will not match the
one below it. I.E.: Project this scenario upwards by
vertical surfaces until the border changes on another
particluar plane. If we were only thinking of the
river median line, you could project this plane
upwards forever without having to have any horizontal
differentiation. But we have the additional
complication of the person. If a person was made of
certain regular geometric shapes (like stacks of
squares and rectangles of different sizes on each
other), you may be able to project upwards 4 inches
before hitting a difference - creating a horizontal
surface linking two different projections. The next
one up may go 2 inches, etc.
But people are not a regular shape at all. Each
cross-section you take will be different because the
body (and clothing etc.) is not geometircally perfect.
So you can't project it up any distance vertically,
because the next plane up will be different. So you
have an infinite number of contiguous crossectional
planes which are all different (from the feet to the
head of the person).
All of the contiguous horizontal planes come together
to form 3-D space. The infinite unchanging river
median line projections come together to form a
vertical surface (you can change your z-coordinate
while maintaining your x and y coords). But the
surface created by the infinte number of lines of the
human cross-sections is not purely vertical. If you
want to change your z-coordinate, you have to change
either your x or your y as well.
So I think if we call the vertical surface a border,
we have to call the nonvertical surface a border too,
since they are both made up of the same infinite
number of border tracings on contiguous planes. I
would call them both border surfaces.