Subject: Re: Israel Army Proposes to Create Enclaves
Date: Feb 13, 2004 @ 01:17
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

for the full text of the washington post article
& 9 points of allegedly misleading info in it
http://www.camera.org/index.asp?x_context=2&x_outlet=38&x_ar
ticle=634

but without getting into the political back & forth or any other
particulars
i agree with & would now even underscore several times
someones earlier assessment that this wall has apparently
nothing whatsoever to do with borders per se
let alone with multipointing

even the claim of enclaves does not appear to hold up in any of
the technical senses in which we have understood this word

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> I just created a photo library folder entitled "WestBank", and
placed
> a copy of the map created by the Washington Post which
appeared in
> ther paper on Frbruary 10th. It shows where the Israeli Army
proposes
> to route the "Berlin Wall" currently being built there. Oddly, it
> proposes to create two (maybe three) Palestinian enclaves on
the
> Israeli side of the wall, to the northwest and southwest of the
old
> city. They'd be fully walled off from their surroundings.
>
> One of them actually straddles the border of the city limits.
>
> The article the accompanies the maps quotes one Eyal
Weizman, who maps
> settlement development for a group called B'Tselem. The
article
> includes this paragraph quoting him: "If Jerusalem were one
day to
> serve as the Palestinian capital, the Israelis would need to
build 40
> miles of walls and 20 bridges and tunnels to connect islands
of
> Palestinian sovereignty to each other, he sai. 'It's nonsensical
> think that international borders can do this kind of gymnastics,'
he
> said. 'How can you have a Palestinian state without the air
over it
> and the ground underneath it?'"
>
> Not hard! As we now know from the US-Mexico border bridges
and from
> the former situation at Steinstuecken, boundaries don't have to
extend
> very far into the ground and need not include much, if any,
airspace.
> The Israeli's could actually consider leaving the atmosphere
above
> Palestinian land as Israeli airspace. That way, the
Palestinians
> would gain a state - sovereign surface territory on which to live.
> Israel would maintain sovereign rights of passage through
contiguous
> airspace. Air use could be licensed and taxed.
>
> By limiting Palestinian sovereignty to the surface, control over
> digging could be exercized, and with that, there would be
control over