Subject: Re: Israel Army Proposes to Create Enclaves
Date: Feb 13, 2004 @ 00:39
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman
<mikekaufman79@y...> wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying this, Lowell. Yes, this does
> make more sense from a practical aspect. But it also
> adds a level of variability to the exact 3-D shape of
> the border (i.e.: people and cars move, the 3-D border
> surface moves with them) that I don't recall seeing
> elswhere.

wait mike

youve still almost got it

but neither the border nor the border surface really moves with
the people & the cars

in fact
border surface
as such
is a practically meaningless concept

for borders really have no surface

not a horizontal surface anyway

they have a vertical dimension
it is true

& in rare cases such as this they are vertically differentiated
besides

& so i suppose you could say that the vertical projections of
border lines do form surfaces of a sort

but i think that that is as far as you could take this term

moreover
split level borders must of course adjoin horizontal surfaces that
link their differing vertical positions & projections

but borders per se can have no surface other than a vertical one
so far as i can see

& such a variability as you imagine is the case neither on mxus
nor anywhere else
i believe

the variability that does exist on mxus consists only in the vertical
differentiation between a historic thalweg position recorded &
frozen on a bridge railing
& the ongoing location of the living thalweg itself

the activity on the bridge doesnt affect the boundary

& it is true that you havent seen what you describe elsewhere
since it actually obtains nowhere
so far as i am aware