Subject: Re: Grosvenor on maps
Date: Feb 06, 2004 @ 02:35
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus" <
mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> When I read the quote, I though of how BP people use, study, make, and share
> maps to further our interests in tripoints and the boundaries that compose them.

well to begin with
if we are to critique the intrinsic truth of this offering
i think we need to question whether boundaries really do compose
tripoints

a tripoint is a point upon 3 boundaries all right

but it is also a point within 3 countries as well

does that mean the countries compose the tripoints too

well no
not any more than the boundaries compose the tripoints really

but all 3 boundaries & all 3 countries do share a point in common

& thats the point we call a tripoint

getting that simple distinction straight will also probably help avert
the common error in reasoning that goes
bp must be about boundaries because it is about tripoints

bp is no more about the boundaries than it is about the countries that
contribute to the multipoints

> I think that most of us share Grosvenor's love for maps. The lines, colors, and
> "great dreams" of which he speaks all come together at tripoints.

this last part strikes me as pure hobblegobble & wishful thinking

nor does dreaming it so make it true in this case

perhaps great dreams really do come together at boundary lines on a map
& in the colored areas these lines separate

say
wherever conquest or union or disunion etc has occured
perhaps a national dream really has preceded it

like the dream of manifest destiny
or of a master race
or whatever other silliness

but more than likely
it seems to me
these lines are just the fault lines of clashing dreams
& the complex resultants or equilibrants of highly miscellaneous
political processes & pressures

& if the borders are at most the equilibrants of dreams
then a fortiori
the tripoints are only the equilibrants of the equilibrants
& that much farther removed from the dream process itself

& that assessment comes to you with all the benefit of the doubt from
someone who really does believe that thought at least creates reality

but who doesnt quite yet see what you or grosvenor might really have
meant

& who is still asking for an example of how you see this all working
if you really do see anything real here