Subject: Re: American ghost tripoints
Date: Feb 06, 2004 @ 01:48
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus" <
mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> In one of your messages "Re: Grosvenor on maps," you inventoried a small =
but
> intriguing collection of ghost points within the present USA. I commend =
you for
> your ingenuity in rooting these out

thanx lowell
i have been savoring your appreciation all this time because i happen
to agree with it
& am exuberant about zeroing in further on all of these ghost
tricountry points of the usa

& commend such national fun to nationals of all nations

more below

, but I must differ with your interpretation
> of one. You wrote:
>
> > btw
> > the one other de jure ghost tricountry point possibility in the usa
> > 1783esgbus1803
> > may fall at the point where the full mississippi river descends into
> > louisiana
> > if i have it all right
>
> As I understand you, the point that you intend is the southwestern corner=
of
> Mississippi. For the reasons that I will give below, I do not believe th=
at this
> point was ever an international tripoint.

yes you may well be right
& your analysis below does show my first guess above was indeed off
target
at least in point of its time frame & constituency

but what does appear to have obtained in this general location
if not at the exact point i mentioned
then somewhere east of it upon nlat31
was the de facto but secret 1802esfrus1803

thats the point i was looking for amidst the entire 1783 to 1803
maelstrom of cessions & retrocessions etc that circulated about this
point
or perhaps about somewhere just east of it
not sure

but do you agree so far

for it is not so much that you have struck an item from this precious
little inventory
as that you have helped to track & pin it down further

for i am happy to report that in my view this ghost still lives albeit
considerably transformed from my first sketch of it

& if you do agree then where exactly did this 1802esfrus1803 fall

in other words how much of west florida did spain secretly retrocede to
france with the secret greater louisiana retrocession of 1802

& so exactly where on the 31st parallel did the true if fleeting ghost
tricountry point i was & am still looking for actually fall

i mean if it isnt the same point i have incorrectly specified the
1783esgbus1803 above

but maybe another & still more careful reading of bus&ss will suffice

also i believe i am making a little progress pinning down the 17th
century de facto frgbnls

the dutch map i mentioned probably overstated things

my sense is that these points really fell somewhere between cooperstown
& amsterdam new york in the west
& at roughly springfield mass in the east

beyond in both case were brits on the one hand
& howling indians & their french allies on the other

> The east-west boundary between southeastern Louisiana and Mississippi fol=
lows
> the 31st parallel. This line was first mentioned as a boundary in 1763. =
In