Subject: source of rio grande etc
Date: Jan 30, 2004 @ 22:31
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

> the main event
> i think
> is the original mxtxus1836 ghost tricountry point
> the only clearly defined de jure tricountry point ever to have
taken
> form or been dreamt up as it were within the usa
>
> it is somewhere potentially very precise
> yet very probably never officially marked
> & possibly never even unofficially commemorated
>
> somewhere in the great divide basin of south central wyoming
>
> at nlat precisely 42 degrees x wlong precisely of the source of the
> rio grande
>
> so any try for 1836mxtxus1845
> as this point might also be called in full
> would have to be preceded by a very careful & thorough sawanabori
of
> the rio all the way up to the ridge line of the continental divide

or can anyone say if this rio source or metasource point was perhaps
specified in the mxtx1836 treaty as the summit of canby mtn

rather than the point to which the mainstream could be traced
experimentally
even above its headspring
to the crest

all as shown or implied here i hope
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=4186424%20&e=275920&u=2&datum=nad27

such a specification would produce the mxtxus1836 position in
nlat 42deg at wlong approx 107d32m42s
for starters

but it might be possible to be more precise
if we could lay a gps on whatever the actual rio metasource point
proves to be

& then what if we actually find something on that longitude at the
mxtxus latitude
yow
a long shot
but maybe someone has done all this before
& left a marker

or better yet maybe we would have the honor of leaving a marker

what fun

anyone