Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico(?)
Date: Jan 10, 2004 @ 20:20
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

You wrote:

> may i ask again
> as a fitting memorial to a truly great editor
> do you still believe he really denied anything
> & do you still believe he was really wrong about anything

I greatly respect Franklin K. Van Zandt. I've respected him since first finding
his work 27 years ago. He was probably the greatest American boundary scholar
of all time.

The fact that he hedged his statement with the words "appear" and "apparently"
tells us that he was less than certain. Since his statement was about how
things appeared to him, in that sense he was correct.

So, do I still believe that he denied anything? If it will make you any
happier, I will say that he appears to have apparently denied it. Since my
statement is about how things appear to me, in that sense I am correct.

The only reason that I inserted the statement about Van Zandt's denial of the
Texas division entitlement into my original message was that I wanted to
acknowledge that the great man's opinion differed from mine and that which is
commonly accepted in Texas. I knew that if I did not, somebody would soon tell
me that I was wrong because Van Zandt had said otherwise.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA