Subject: Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico(?)
Date: Jan 10, 2004 @ 15:59
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> With all due respect, the notion that Texas (or any other state)
has a special
> right to leave the Union at will is a myth. It is true that Texas
was once an
> internationally recognized sovereign republic that pre-existed its
membership in
> the Union. However, other than the implicit theory that any state
might
> reassume the sovereign rights granted voluntarily by it to the
federal
> government (which was disproved for all practical purposes by the
outcome of the
> unpleasantness of 1861-1865), there is no explicit provision in any
American
> Constitution or statute providing for the right of secession.
>
> Perhaps you are thinking of the unique but real right of Texas to
divide itself
> into as many as five states of the Union on its own volition
without further
> action by the Congress. Van Zandt wrongly denies this right in
BUS&SS,

well now that he appears to have reemerged completely into
nonphysical reality
& will never tell us anything again unless we can channel him
& now that we have looked into the matter as best we can
may i ask again
as a fitting memorial to a truly great editor
do you still believe he really denied anything
& do you still believe he was really wrong about anything

i ask because we had until now actually found precious little that is
certainly wrong in this roughly 6th edition of this bible
for which he was responsible
& all the confirmed mistakes are mostly or entirely confined to typos
& other purely mechanical errors

& so this would be the first glaring blunder we are aware of

& btw it was apparently bill & not me who let that new jade in
oops
& dont click on her or she will never let go

you may have to reboot first

but he
> completely misses the point that the Congress has already given its
consent to
> the admission of any such states, on March 1, 1845. Of course, the
> balkanization of Texas would be total heresy to most modern Texans!
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

Mexico(?)

> > New Mexico has zero chance. Texas is one of two states who have
the
> > right to leave the union at any time and as someone from the
smallest
> > state in the union who may be made even smaller by Connecticut the
> > politicians here are threatening enough lawsuits to bog down a
shift
> > for years. Basically, I'm not a lawyer by the way, there is
> > something in the law called 'tone and content'. What this means
is
> > if something has become a given legal fact and new information
crops
> > up that it might not be so, the prepondance of legality is on the
> > side of the people/group/entity that will suffer because of the
new
> > information. Its the legalize of the old saying "possesion is
9/10's
> > of the law". If your going to go back to the 1800's just to get
> > three miles of border area just because nobody realized the
mistake
> > in 150 years you've far exceeded your right to contest the
original
> > fact.
> >
> > Also as Lowell points out its been a legal fact that the border
was
> > drawn up as the survey was surveyed and not as it should have been
> > surveyed.
> >
> > The Rhode Island/Connecticut issue will be solved the same way.
> > The state of Connecticut is being dragged into this and
realistically