Subject: Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico(?)
Date: Jan 14, 2004 @ 17:34
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> You wrote:
>
> > may i ask again
> > as a fitting memorial to a truly great editor
> > do you still believe he really denied anything
> > & do you still believe he was really wrong about anything
>
> I greatly respect Franklin K. Van Zandt. I've respected him since
first finding
> his work 27 years ago. He was probably the greatest American
boundary scholar
> of all time.

actually he is not known for his academic scholarship is he
but i think perhaps mainly as a great civil servant & editor

& he could see so far at least partly because he was standing on the
shoulders of other giants too

douglas
who must have delivered 99 percent of what we call bus&ss by 1930
& gannett & butterfield 99 percent of that by 1904

so lets keep it all in perspective

more below

> The fact that he hedged his statement with the words "appear"
and "apparently"
> tells us that he was less than certain. Since his statement was
about how
> things appeared to him, in that sense he was correct.
>
> So, do I still believe that he denied anything? If it will make
you any
> happier, I will say that he appears to have apparently denied it.
Since my
> statement is about how things appear to me, in that sense I am
correct.

> The only reason that I inserted the statement about Van Zandt's
denial of the
> Texas division entitlement into my original message was that I
wanted to
> acknowledge that the great man's opinion differed from mine and
that which is
> commonly accepted in Texas. I knew that if I did not, somebody
would soon tell
> me that I was wrong because Van Zandt had said otherwise.

hahahahaha
well i didnt mean to put you thru such contortions
just so you could continue to believe he stands in denial of anything
but you still didnt answer my question

where & how exactly is he wrong in what he says

you raised the issue & began by saying he was wrong
but without ever saying what exactly he was wrong about
hahaha

so please read or reread the entire passage
in your own copy
or in brians pdf version
or in my following post for convenience
& tell us what sentence or clause or phrase or word or speck is wrong

please
a mans reputation for impeccability hangs in the balance

this & the following message recapitulate an earlier one lost in the
ether but still subject to land on the message board