Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New Mexico (?)
Date: Jan 07, 2004 @ 19:19
Author: Flynn, Kevin ("Flynn, Kevin" <flynnk@...>)

-----Original Message-----
From: m06079 [mailto:barbaria_longa@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 9:34 AM
To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Texas panhandle - 3 miles into New
Mexico(?)

(Snip)

> & so texas does not appear to me either to have acquired any
> advantages over other states from this act

I would disagree with your conclusion that Texas didn't acquire any
advantages over other states, even though I agree it would be contentious.
It has the specific right and expectation for eventual division built into
its admission into the union, and no other state had that TMK. That's not to
say there wouldn't be an argument if and when it occurred. But Texas has
sort of a pre-approved status, like those credit card offers I get every day
in the mail: "You are already approved for a $10,000 Visa!"

If Texas were to move on this privilege, the foundation for the arrangement
is already out of the way. Other states do not have this leg up.