Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] New Cyprus tripoints uncovered
Date: Jan 06, 2004 @ 21:47
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

Jesper,

>On the lovely detailed Nicosia map there are several such tripoints, and
>it's very surprising to find a greek-turkish boundary outside the buffer zone.

It's not completely clear from the map, but I would think the most obvious
tripoint is at the Roccas bastion where the Turkish and Greek sectors are
only separated by the height of the city walls, and abut against the UN
zone at the Paphos Gate. There is a park on the Roccas bastion (located in
the Turkish sector) which overlooks the road in the Greek sector that leads
to the Ledra Palace crossing.

>or at least the rear wall was "smack up" to the Turkish sector. Actually
>on my North Nicosia tourist map the church is on their side of the line.

My impression was that the church was actually located in the UN buffer
zone, albeit accessible from the Greek side. However, it's difficult to
tell for certain, because even with a reasonably accurate map such as the
one you provided, the thickness of the green line can be difference between
one building or another.

Cheers,

Kevin Meynell