Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: New Cyprus tripoints uncovered
Date: Jan 06, 2004 @ 20:10
Author: Jesper Nielsen ("Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)

On the lovely detailed Nicosia map there are several such tripoints, and
it's very surprising to find a greek-turkish boundary outside the buffer
zone.

And so the photographed tripoint is a tripoint of greek-turkish-UN
controlled area.

The map does or site does not offer enough legend to know what the boundary
line really is, but after my visit I have concluded that it must be the
actual green line or demarcation line. BUT perhaps somebody can help us out
to how the green line was made up, when it was made up and by whom - and
offcourse is it really so precisely defined? A tale I have heard was that
some British military person drew the line with a green pencil.

I was silly enough - even though I brough along this map with me - to
realize these new tripoints until I came home. I took the photo as the
church according to Lonely Planet was "divided", or at least the rear wall
was "smack up" to the Turkish sector. Actually on my North Nicosia tourist
map the church is on their side of the line.

I photographed (or near miss) another yet more fabricated tripoint also by
accident. The tripoint between the Turkish controlled area-UN buffer zone
(Turkish side)-UN buffer zone (greek side) but I admit it getting a bit
fabricated.

I also tried to spot the quadropoint I wrongly called "boundary cross" at
message 12660 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/12660),
but unlike the greek side the TRNC do to have signs for administrative
boundaries.

Jesper