Subject: Re: mxn trip?
Date: Dec 08, 2003 @ 20:35
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ok adam i can confirm from bus&ss that both the 1848 & 1853 mxus
treaties referred simply to
the middle
of both the colorado & gila rivers

& as for what the writers of those treaties figured the middles of
such wildly irregular rivers to be
i doubt even they had any clear idea

perhaps the middle of the deepest channel
hence thalweg
but perhaps not

of course your specific & probably insoluble puzzle
if you do try to find this exact ghost point
rather than simply visiting where these rivers meet today
to make as good a guess of it as any
will be in finding exactly where whatever the writers meant by the
junction of these fickle river middles actually was situated between
1848 & 1853
hahahaha

i have also learned from the same source that azca is defined as
the middle of the main channel
which i also interpret to mean thalweg

& i know the rio grande part of mxus has been defined as
the middle of the deepest channel
which i again also interpret as thalweg

but i dont know for a fact if the same regime applies today to the
colorado also
tho i expect it probably does

this may be spelled out in lowells more recent 1970 mxus treaty
for which i too will look forward to confirmation

but as of now it sure looks like azca is thalweg & azbc is thalweg
& so it is likely that no stitch or esoteric search will be necessary
as mxn & azbcca do very much appear to be one & the same point

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
> <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > Adam,
> >
> > I'll try to answer your questions that were addressed to me below
> by mid-week.
>
> hahahahahaha
> & much more below
>
> > Some will require a little research, and I'll be away tomorrow.
> >
> > Lowell G. McManus
> > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

Friday
> [...]
>
> the trick will be in knowing where the bcca survey line terminates
> once you have found the thalweg delimiting azbc
> because then you wont be able to see over the veggies enclosing you
> hahahahaha
>
> no mxus markers certainly
> & not the wall end
> & probably not even the tower tops unless you move up or down the
> river a bit
>
> & of course there is still the question of how azca terminates too
> because there could conceivably be a need for one of our famous
> tripointing stitches here also
> if for example
> azca does follow midchannel & azbc the thalweg
> with the thalweg falling east of midchannel here
>
> right
> the mxn point & mxus turnpoint could actually lie a few feet east
of
> azbcca
>

> so you will have your work cut out for you
> running back & forth from the river bed to one or the other of the
> towers
> to best guess the tripoint position
> & i think best guessing is all you will be doing unless you bring a
> machete to hack a monument sight line
>
> i believe it is mostly just dry reeds & worth this try
>

> I guess Lowell would have the goods on where
> > > exactly in the Colorado River the tripoint is, since he's our
> > > resident expert on the usmx treaty.
>
> yes it will be worth waiting for lowell on this if you can
> but in the meantime
> as mentioned
> i believe the thalweg is what you are looking for here
>
> with luck it will be readable as a wiggly line down a dry riverbed
>

> > > I suppose another historical tripoint I could pick up would be
the
> > > historical tripoint between California, New Mexico Territory,
and
> > > Mexico before the Gadsden Purchase was made. That would be
where
> the
> > > Gila River flows into the Colorado, on the north side of Yuma,
> right?
> > > Lowell, do you have any idea whether that tripoint would be in
the
> > > river midpoint, the thalweg, one of the banks, or what?
>
> right
> i believe they probably didnt specify that detail in the original
> treaties
> & it became a ghost tripoint & therefore a moot question by 1853
> but again i think the thalweg junction is your best shot here
> as it is traditional in the absence of anything else anyway
>

> > > I also plan to pick up the 33N115W confluence point, but from
the
> > > description of that on www.confluence.org, it sounds pretty
easy
> > > find with a GPS receiver. If I'm feeling lucky I might try for
> > > 32N115W, but that sounds like 5 miles of driving on questionable
> > > roads in Mexico, which I'd feel a lot better about if I had (a)
4-
> > > wheel drive, (b) somebody fluent in Spanish with me, and/or (c)
> > > lack of memories of bad experiences getting cars stuck in the
mud
> in
> > > the middle of the desert in the US, and that was bad enough.
Come
> > > think of it, one time I was in a caravan of Suburbans on a
Geology