Subject: Re: Four Color Maps
Date: Dec 06, 2003 @ 22:19
Author: Eric Choate ("Eric Choate" <choatune@...>)

> but how about first showing us a theoretical example of a topology
> requiring a 5th color

I think I have constructed a hypothetical Asia that needs five
colors:
1) Suppose that Bangladesh and Pakistan are still one country, which
here I will call Old Pakistan. Now arbitrarily color China red,
India yellow and Old Pakistan green. This requires coloring Myanmar
a different color, say blue.
2) Now, suppose China grants Tibet independence. Tibet, bordering
China, India, and Myanmar, must be colored green.
3) Then, suppose the Bangladeshi part of Old Pakistan invades India
and conquers Sikkim, the Indian state between Bhutan and Nepal,
which also borders Tibet. This would mean that two "green"
countries, Old Pakistan and Tibet, would now met and thus force the
addition of a new color.

I'll try to post a picture of a simpler scenario requiring only one
exclave soon.
Eric