Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Four Color Maps
Date: Dec 06, 2003 @ 19:34
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Asher wrote:

> the only known case of an inland doing what you say is point roberts
> washington
> which is separated from the rest of washington by more than 6
> nautical miles & is thus an exclave of washington
> tho not enclaved in anything

According to Van Zandt, the 1889 Act of Congress admitting the State of
Washington specified its northern boundary running westward along the Canadian
boundary to the Pacific. Therefore, wouldn't the state's waters extend along
and to the wet segment of the CAUS boundary that runs from Point Roberts to the
Pacific Ocean? That 142-mile segment through the Strait of Georgia, the Haro
Strait, and the Strait of Juan de Fuca had already been arbitrated in 1872 by
Emperor William I of Germany. If these internal waters are indeed territorial
to the State of Washington, then the state is a contiguous whole, including
Point Roberts.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA