Subject: Re: Ghost binational quadropoint Denmark-Schleswig
Date: Dec 04, 2003 @ 02:50
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

it was just the similarity of the trapezoidally shaped parcels of
land between the highway & the apparent border cross in both of your
first 2 maps that suggested this to me

but i could be mistaken

i didnt check scale for example
but only compared highway configurations etc

indeed they may not be the same parcel at all
& the apparent border cross i see may not be the same apparent border
cross you are talking about

& thanx for the interesting background info too

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...>
wrote:
> What makes you say that the point of the first green arrow does not
> correspondent to the reds in the other maps?
>
> Map 2, 3 and 4 have the same scale, and therefore I believe that
the corner
> of the lot (where the cross should be or was) is now no longer the
corner of
> the new lot. It looks smaller. So the cross would have been inside
the
> present field, somewhere around where the red cross points.
>
> There were many of these enclaves, and it's been very difficult to
track
> down even a poor scale map. Noone ever made the project of mapping
these
> enclaves. So this is the only detailed topographic map I have ever
seen.
> It's from a book on the enclaves in the village of Rødding. The
origin of
> some enclaves are unknown, some are known. An enclave could have
started
> with a murder. To save the soul of the killed person, the murderer
should
> give his property to the church. Later at the reformation, all
church
> property was given to the crown, and so they became an exclave of
the
> Kingdom of Denmark inside Schleswig. The law, rights, taxes etc.
were
> different from the two entities, and even though the DK parliament
tried to
> solve the problem, the people living in the enclaves protested
heavily.

> The enclaves were partly why DK and DE made war in 1864, and just
like in
> modern day soccer, the small kingdom of the Danes have problems
beating our
> neighbour in the south. At peace negotiations DK tried to save the
enclaves,
> but (sadly for a border freak's point of view) that didn't happen
and land
> particulary south of Kolding was given to DK in exchange. Article 5
gave DK
> a change to vote for a border change, they didn't and later article
5 was
> cancelled.
>
> But article 5 was still not forgotten, and after WW1 the referendum
of
> Schleswig reunited North Schleswig with DK in 1920.
>
> Jesper
Schleswig

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/