Subject: Re: Plate Tectonics and Lat/Long boundaries
Date: Dec 02, 2003 @ 23:57
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Smith" <jwas@s...> wrote:

> - I have a question about the shorthand
used to
> indentify boundary corners. Is it the two letter codes used
> for web addresses in English
alphabetical
> order?

hi jim
& i apologize if this leading part of your question was never
properly answered til now
but yes indeed
as things have evolved
our cockabebble tripoint code pretty much is the 2 letter web codes
for countries in alphabetical order
since these correspond almost perfectly to the 2 letter iso codes for
countries
with only a few negligible exceptions

& this convention may seem fussy or pedantic but it really pays off
when searching for anything

& so at all levels we have been doing pretty much the same thing
using & alphabetizing the most basic symbols possible

thus the standard 2 letter postal codes for american states

likewise the first 2 letters of most anything else that hasnt been
similarly codified yet
like say american counties or towns etc

but there is more to the code than just this

using numbers you can indicate political level too

thus it might be enough in some contexts to say just chnmtx
for the chihuahua new mexico texas tristate point
but for clarity or precision it is also called mxus2chnmtx
meaning it may help to know initially that this point is on the mxus
border
& that it involves secondary entities of the 2 primary entities

& you can indicate the cardinal & other extremities of things too by
simply adding directional suffixes at the end

thus mxush is the highest point on the mexican american border
or mxn is the northernmost point of mexico
etc
etc

but basically it all just evolved naturally from the most basic of
code elements & syntaxes possible
& it continues to evolve whenever a new precedent needs to be set

quite gratifying to watch it growing over the years like a real
language too

the greatest of the fun however may well be the gibberish & chance
meanings it sometimes produces

And on another note, if Croatia's abbriviation HR is
> derived from its name in
Croatian, why
> then is Hungary's HU not derived from Magyarorsz·g?
>
> My "hellos" to Eric as well !
>
> I am new to the group as well, however, I will try to put forward
an answer
> to your final question. The two (2) letter designation of a
country
> normally follows the name of the country in that nation's
language. If,
> however, the name of the country (for example - Hungary as
Magyarorszg) in
> its official language is very different that how it is called
throughout the
> rest of the world, then the two letter designation follows the
international
> name.
>
> I remember this being told to me when I was working in the Security
> Registered area of the postal system here in Canada.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jim Smith
> Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
>
> P.S. I could be wrong, but that is what I had remembered. My
apologies
> to the group if I am in error.

boundaries

> Welcome Eric!
>
> And...
>
> The US-Canadian border is where it is. In reality, it is not very
> accurate. There is a graph of the deviations along the 49th out
there
> somewhere. But at the end of the day, the Americans and Canadians
agree that
> the border lies where it was marked. If the border slides north of
the 49th
> (west of Lake of the Woods), then there is no change in the actual
frontier
> legally.
>
> They Boundary Commission does use a series of Geodetic points for
boundary
> marking... though these would move in your scenario as well.
>
> As for your final question: Uh, I dunno!
>
> Barely North of the 49th,
>
> Doug
>

> On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 07:49 PM, Eric Choate wrote:
>

> Since the continents are adrift on the sea of magma and the
Prime
> Meridian goes through Greenwich, the longitude of a place changes
as time
> goes by. Also, the plates can also move north and south, and so
latitude is
> also variable. Yeah, it's slow enough that we probably won't
notice, but if
> the Americo-Canadian border is actually the 49th parallel, then if
North
> America is moving generally north, is the US "conquering" Canadian
territory
> even as I type this? (I don't actually know which direction North
America
> is moving. Can anyone help?) If we wait long enough, will
Cheyenne leave
> the state that it is the capital of?
>
> Or, is the actual border a line on the continent connecting a
bunch of
> key points that were determined by what their latitudes and
longitudes were
> when a border dispute was settled?
>
> This is my first post as I'm new to the group. I have a
question about
> the shorthand used to indentify boundary corners. Is it the two
letter
> codes used for web addresses in English alphabetical order? And on
another
> note, if Croatia's abbriviation HR is derived from its name in
Croatian, why
> then is Hungary's HU not derived from Magyarorsz·g?
>
> Eric
>

> <image.tiff>
>

> Do you Yahoo!?
>
> <image.tiff>