Subject: Re: customs exclaves in the usa
Date: Dec 02, 2003 @ 18:06
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Although I'm as close to Mike's contraband as I want to be, I still
appreciate
> the generous spirit of his invitation (I guess).

hahahahaha
thats a funny way to put it
& you are correct to guess both the invite & the spirit are real
so how could your appreciation not also be

> As one who owns property in and plans eventually to reside within
one of these
> frontier zones, I'd like to add some perspective here.

first
do you agree there are 3 & only 3 sniffer exclaves

that was really my try & point of inquiry

of course you are right about the chokepoints

& thats why it must boil down to a simple matter of topology

so how many claves & what are their true shapes is really the main
course here

& my exquisitely delicious personal situation is just desserts

your other info is great to have while here too tho

i have also found the rio here as little as 5 paces wide
& nowhere even ankle deep
so i expect the chnmtx retry will go well
provided we dont have to flee again

also just the sound of the also mentioned doelot tripoint & its safe
looking location have been even more inviting to my imagination

but i hope some company will arrive for these tries
even if not you yourself lowell

also i am finding the conditions increasingly agreeable as i get to
learn the place
& i havent even ventured far beyond las cruces yet
tho i realize the territory of my clave is much more extensive

what i am really looking for first tho is unlimited free internet

that will make being here a complete & utter delight
for then i could rejoin you all at bp in strength again
rather than in just these mad dashes thru the crazy library system
they have here
practically at ground zero of the cross

but more on this later if possible

> When I used to return from the border at Eagle Pass, Texas (near
which my
> property is located), the Border Patrol's secondary highway
checkpoint (just
> southwest of the junction of US 57 and FM 481 about 12 miles
northeast of Eagle
> Pass) was more often closed than not. When it was open, the
minimal staff was
> looking only for illegal immigrants. They were Border Patrol,
after all, not
> Customs. They would just wave you through if you looked halfway
blond and
> didn't have any passengers obviously trying to hide. That all
changed after
> 9/11. Now the Border Patrol is part of the Bureau of Customs and
Border
> Protection's "One Face at the Border." The checkpoint is always
open, and the
> staff is human, canine, and videocam. Each person is quizzed on
U.S.
> nationality or immigration status, destination, and purpose of
trip, just as is
> done at the U.S. Border Stations at the end of the international
bridges. These
> secondary checkpoints are legally considered functional equivalents
of the
> border. Thus the agents have authority to search without warrant
and
> interrogate under oath (so say the Supremes). Be advised that the
Bureau also
> has authority to throw up impromptu mobile checkpoints anywhere
within a
> reasonable distance of the border.
>
> If one leaves Eagle Pass northward on US 277, then takes Texas 131
north, and
> then goes eastward on US 90, no Border Patrol checkpoint is
encountered until
> somewhere near Uvalde on US 90. I don't remember the exact
location. In any
> case, the fuzzy zone between the boundary and the secondary
inspections widens
> out considerably above Eagle Pass, as it does in the area downriver
from Laredo.
> There are no checkpoints between Eagle Pass and Del Rio. I'm sure
the locations
> of the secondary checkpoints is dictated by the chokepoints in the
highway
> infrastructure.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA