Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] customs exclaves in the usa
Date: Dec 02, 2003 @ 01:14
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Although I'm as close to Mike's contraband as I want to be, I still appreciate
the generous spirit of his invitation (I guess).

As one who owns property in and plans eventually to reside within one of these
frontier zones, I'd like to add some perspective here.

When I used to return from the border at Eagle Pass, Texas (near which my
property is located), the Border Patrol's secondary highway checkpoint (just
southwest of the junction of US 57 and FM 481 about 12 miles northeast of Eagle
Pass) was more often closed than not. When it was open, the minimal staff was
looking only for illegal immigrants. They were Border Patrol, after all, not
Customs. They would just wave you through if you looked halfway blond and
didn't have any passengers obviously trying to hide. That all changed after
9/11. Now the Border Patrol is part of the Bureau of Customs and Border
Protection's "One Face at the Border." The checkpoint is always open, and the
staff is human, canine, and videocam. Each person is quizzed on U.S.
nationality or immigration status, destination, and purpose of trip, just as is
done at the U.S. Border Stations at the end of the international bridges. These
secondary checkpoints are legally considered functional equivalents of the
border. Thus the agents have authority to search without warrant and
interrogate under oath (so say the Supremes). Be advised that the Bureau also
has authority to throw up impromptu mobile checkpoints anywhere within a
reasonable distance of the border.

If one leaves Eagle Pass northward on US 277, then takes Texas 131 north, and
then goes eastward on US 90, no Border Patrol checkpoint is encountered until
somewhere near Uvalde on US 90. I don't remember the exact location. In any
case, the fuzzy zone between the boundary and the secondary inspections widens
out considerably above Eagle Pass, as it does in the area downriver from Laredo.
There are no checkpoints between Eagle Pass and Del Rio. I'm sure the locations
of the secondary checkpoints is dictated by the chokepoints in the highway
infrastructure.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA