Subject: Re: cnkpru 1:200.000
Date: Nov 26, 2003 @ 12:27
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "m06079" <barbaria_longa@h...>
wrote:
> & thanx again peter now that i have really studied & appreciated
this
> seamless text
>
> but as you indicated
> there still seems to be some question
>
> first they talk about a cnkp joint area
> but then they talk about a tripoint
>
> & we know from the trilines of the delu condo areas
> that there would be no single tricountry point
> but a tricountry line with 2 bidominial tricountry points at its
ends

> nor could i find the mentioned monument numbers on this probably
> older map
> & thus still cant visualize what the condo area might look like
>
> any ideas
>
> nevertheless
> there certainly appears to be reason to hope this is a real deal
> if i am not mistaken
> our fifth or seventh in this rare international condo category
> together with
> 2 delu
> 2 esfr
> aeom &
> eshoni

The treaty deals with "the" tripoint, not with the condominium, and
although I can see that you can't really deal with the tripoint
without taking into account the condominium, the problem seems to be
that the condominium isn't very well - if at all - described. So the
only thing we can assume is that the condominium exists. The only
point that can be located with certainty in that case is (CNKP)KPRU.
The line described in the agreement, which marks the end of the
condominium, looks like to be only instrumental in defining this
point (where it crosses the other line - the thalweg KPRU boundary).
I agree that (CNKP)KPRU is only half of the story, but it looks like
being the maximum attainable here. I suspect that the treaty was more
important to Russia than to the other two countries: Russia closed a
gap in its border. The gap consisted of 1) the last stretch of KPRU
between KPRU marker pair no. 1 and (CNKP)KPRU and 2) the (CNKP)RU
border between (CNKP)KPRU and CNRU marker no. 423.

Whether that last marker is the other tripoint, CN(CNKP)RU, remains
an open question. If the condominium border follows the river bank,
it can't be, unless the marker is on the very edge of the land and
half in the river. But I don't believe that is the case.

Peter S.