Subject: Re: more thinking about mdvawv
Date: Nov 17, 2003 @ 17:52
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> I have interspersed my newest thoughts below.
>
> Mike wrote:
>
> > all the right stuff lowell
>
> Thank you!
>
> > we still dont know which direction the stitch will run in
>
> The 1877 arbitrators who first promulgated the low-water mark for
MDVA described
> the boundary "Beginning at the point on the Potomac River where the
line between
> Virginia and West Virginia strikes the said river at low-water
mark..." To me,
> the acceptance of the arbitration by Maryland, Virginia, and the
Congress, gives
> their blessings to a projection of the terminal bearing of dry VAWV
as the
> neceasary stitch between MDWV's south bank and MDVA's low-water
mark. Since the
> stitch would be a segment of MDVA, and would in no wise affect West
Virginia, I
> think that the arbitrators had full authority to answer that
question and have
> done so.

yes all thats what we shall see
but i think it is premature to conclude that the mdwv south bank
boundary is higher than the mdva mdvawv point as depicted

the vawv survey does end at the vegetation line 79 or 80 feet from
the terminal marker

must run now

> > & therefore wont know where the tripoint position falls
> > til we learn precisely what is meant by the south bank for mdwv
>
> Correct. The only uncertainty is the precise location of the south
bank. Since
> the riverside is steep, this should be relatively easy to
determine. My best
> guess would be the high-water mark that is kept free of vegetaion
by the waters.

> > & til we see the 1927 mathews & nelson map for mdva
> > for they themselves may have foreseen & included part or all of
this
> > stitch
> > or incorporated it in their own terminal mdva reach
> > when they realized the final headland they were sighting against
was
> > not on the va bank at all
> > but on the irrelevant wv bank
>
> Perhaps they did sew the stitch and/or draw a headland line, but I
think that
> the 1877 MDVA arbitrators' notion of headland lines was as an
alternative to the
> inclusion of "arms, inlets, creeks, or affluents" within the
river. I have not
> been there, but on maps I see none of these at the point in
question; only a
> rather normal curve in the river bank.
>
> > but in any case
> > that final map of theirs is probably indispensable for making
mdvawv

> I agree, of course.
>
> The Mathews-Nelson work is entitled:
>
> Report on the location of the boundary line along the
Potomac River
> between Virginia and Maryland in accordance with the Award of 1877;
by Edward B.
> Mathews, state geologist of Maryland, Wilbur A. Nelson, state
geologist of
> Virginia.
>
> It is 48 letter-size pages, with six folded maps.
>
> Without doing an exhaustive library catalog search, I find it at
William & Mary,
> VMI, the Tulsa City/County Library, and the many repository
libraries of the
> Maryland Geolocical Survey listed at
> www.mgs.md.gov/esic/publications/pubdepot.html .
>
> It can also be ordered on microfiche from the Maryland Geological
Survey for
www.mgs.md.gov/esic/publications/pubcat21.html