Subject: Re: more thinking about mdvawv
Date: Nov 17, 2003 @ 19:19
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "m06079" <barbaria_longa@h...>
wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
> <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > I have interspersed my newest thoughts below.
> >
> > Mike wrote:
> >
> > > all the right stuff lowell
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > > we still dont know which direction the stitch will run in
> >
> > The 1877 arbitrators who first promulgated the low-water mark for
> MDVA described
> > the boundary "Beginning at the point on the Potomac River where
the
> line between
> > Virginia and West Virginia strikes the said river at low-water
> mark..." To me,
> > the acceptance of the arbitration by Maryland, Virginia, and the
> Congress, gives
> > their blessings to a projection of the terminal bearing of dry
VAWV
> as the
> > neceasary stitch between MDWV's south bank and MDVA's low-water
> mark. Since the
> > stitch would be a segment of MDVA, and would in no wise affect
West
> Virginia, I
> > think that the arbitrators had full authority to answer that
> question and have
> > done so.
>
> yes all thats what we shall see
> but i think it is premature to conclude that the mdwv south bank
> boundary is higher than the mdva mdvawv point as depicted
>
> the vawv survey does end at the vegetation line 79 or 80 feet from
> the terminal marker
>
> must run now

ok
that was globe az
but this is superior

more below

> > > & therefore wont know where the tripoint position falls
> > > til we learn precisely what is meant by the south bank for mdwv
> >
> > Correct. The only uncertainty is the precise location of the
south
> bank.

perhaps we really agree
but as i see it
both the mdwv & mdva terminal reaches & terminal points are uncertain
til they are certainly known by us

Since
> > the riverside is steep, this should be relatively easy to
> determine. My best
> > guess would be the high-water mark that is kept free of vegetaion
> by the waters.

yes perhaps a series of line segments connecting all the surviving
trees
for starters
since these are the most apparent veggies amidst all the boulders

but the riverside slopes off fairly continuously below the highway
so it will be hard to say exactly where the bank is

there is no simple & clear embankment anywhere

> > > & til we see the 1927 mathews & nelson map for mdva
> > > for they themselves may have foreseen & included part or all of
> this
> > > stitch
> > > or incorporated it in their own terminal mdva reach
> > > when they realized the final headland they were sighting
against
> was
> > > not on the va bank at all
> > > but on the irrelevant wv bank
> >
> > Perhaps they did sew the stitch and/or draw a headland line, but
> think that
> > the 1877 MDVA arbitrators' notion of headland lines was as an
> alternative to the
> > inclusion of "arms, inlets, creeks, or affluents" within the
> river. I have not
> > been there, but on maps I see none of these at the point in
> question; only a
> > rather normal curve in the river bank.

thats right
so there is no reason to suppose a huge coastal baseline sort of line
enclosing a large embayment of the river

but if bus&ss is right
then mdva here wont follow the meanderings of the bank
whatever these may or may not prove to be
but will still run headland to headland
whatever these may prove to be

thanx for your patience
& this is for now complete