Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Boundaries through urban areas
Date: Nov 11, 2003 @ 03:52
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Kevin,

All I know about the NJ and NY jurisdictions in and around the New York Harbor
comes from Franklin K. Van Zandt's BOUNDARIES OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE
SEVERAL STATES. In the section on New York, Van Zandt quotes at length from the
1834 agreement. It is correct that New York has essentially the jurisdiction
that you describe over the Hudson River west of Manhattan Island, [Upper] New
York Bay, Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill around the northern and western sides of
Staten Island south to the mouth of Woodbridge Creek (about a mile north of the
Outerbridge Crossing). However, New Jersey, in a precisely mirror-image
situation, has exclusive jurisdiction over Arthur Kill south of the mouth of
Woodbridge Creek and over Raritan Bay as far east as a straight line drawn
between the Prince's Bay lighthouse on Staten Island and the mouth of Matawan
Creek in Monmouth County.

So, each state got a bit of a taste of imperialism.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA