Subject: Re: Oklahoma panhandle and Missouri boot heel
Date: Nov 06, 2003 @ 21:35
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

westminster md
& i have the book in front of me now
but only 8 minutes

anyway the ok panhandle was a public land strip
formerly part of texas
which was simply added to ok territory in 1890

& the mo bootheel was the result of efforts by a prominent local
landholder who lived south of the rest of the new state of mo in 1821
to have his plantation included in the new state
rather than remain in ar territory
which didnt become a state til later